There were a lot of goals from Shambolic ghosts who think they are still playing Caps hockey. To start, Nic Dowd scored a rush goal, and Conor Sheary added a shrewd assist from Michael Raffl.
Mika Zibanejad finished the first period and started the second period with a pair of goals, as he always does against Washington. The Rangers took the lead on Kaapo Kakko’s stick, but Garnet Hathaway tied him up late.
Four minutes into the third period, Daniel Sprong pulled in a few more elite moves to restore Washington’s lead. Our only good son Nicky Backstrom pushed back two D Rangers to extend the lead. Tom Wilson added an empty rule.
The caps win.
(No “Bailamos” tonight. House rules.)
- Alex Ovechkin played a shift, less than a minute. He quit the game and didn’t come back.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov and Ilya Samsonov did not dress for the game due to some team discipline. They were late for a team event.
- One thing we’ll never know is whether Kuznetsov’s discipline forced Ovechkin to play, or if Ovechkin’s determination to play allowed the team to seat Kuznetsov. Either way, it was a series of disastrous events.
- Elsewhere, TJ Oshie missed the game for personal reasons, and Justin Schultz is treating the same injury. All of this resulted in a very small range of Caps.
- And then, in the second half, Tom Wilson punched Pavel Buchnevich on the back of the head while lying on his stomach. It sparked a brawl, which Ian dutifully documented for you. Wilson was rightly punished and I wouldn’t wince if he had more. Immediately after, he left his team’s shortened bench even shorter. I think I will update this old thread in a few days.
- At the other end of the ice, Artemi Panarin left the game after the second period. I think this was due to his scrap with Wilson, pictured above.
- Daniel LeapThe go-ahead goal for the third period was his fifth in five games. Folks, he could catch McDavid.
– Ian Oland (@ianoland) May 3, 2021
There was a tornado in Frederick tonight. We’re all fine in RMNB territory, but it was scary. If you got caught up in it, I hope you’re okay. I guess I was just a little distracted by that, which is a blessing. But for this distraction, I can’t muster my usual outrage over Wilson’s intelligence, or my worry for Ovechkin, or my smirk “boys will be boys” for Kuznetsov and Samsonov.
Tonight was weird, but not really in a fun or amusing way. I didn’t like Ovechkin to play and leave. I didn’t like that Tom Wilson was an idiot. I didn’t like Panarin getting hurt. I didn’t like that Kuznetsov and Samsonov were two little rascals.
But I love that the Rangers were officially taken out, and a bunch of good looking deep guys gutted him and played with two or three guys awful. So I am in conflict.
Like I said: it’s been a weird year.
Ranger cap RMNB coverage
Screenshot courtesy of NBC Sports Washington