Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson is in critical condition after being shot to the head, her affiliate group, the Taking the Initiative party, announced on social media.
In a statement posted on the group’s Facebook page, the party said the incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday and followed “numerous death threats”.
The statement read: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson was shot in the head. She is currently hospitalized and in critical condition. The incident occurred in the early hours of the morning, following numerous death threats.
“Sasha has always actively fought for black people and the injustices that surround the black community, in addition to being both a member of the BLM and a member of the Executive Board of the Initiative Party. Sasha is also a mother of 3 and a strong and powerful voice for our people and our community.
Johnson was a prominent member of TTIP, which has been described as “Britain’s first black-led political party”. She rose to prominence after last year’s BLM protests that spread across the country, helping organize marches and addressing crowds.
Johnson has worked in activism and community support and earned a first-rate degree in social work from Oxford Brookes University.
Her page on the TTIP website read: “She has an immense passion for implementing change and justice and actively supports the eradication of injustices in society by participating and leading protests.”
TTIP called on people to “all come together and pray for Sasha, pray for her recovery and show our support to her family and loved ones.”
Claudia Webbe, Labor MP for Leicester East, written online: “Shocking to hear about the shot in the head of Sasha Johnson; All women should be safe on our streets. Wishing him a full recovery. Sending love and solidarity to family, friends and loved ones. There are still too many guns and violent weapons damaging too many lives #BLM. »
The Metropolitan Police subsequently re-launched a call for witnesses regarding a 27-year-old woman hospitalized with potentially fatal injuries after being shot in the early hours of Sunday.
The Met said the woman was found after officers were called to report gunfire in Peckham, south-east London, shortly before 3 a.m.
It is believed that the shooting occurred near a house where a party was taking place and that a number of people may have been in the area.
A spokesperson said that although the investigation is at an early stage, there is no indication that this was a targeted attack or that the woman had received credible threats against her prior to this incident. Detectives from the Met’s Crime Command (Trident) are leading the investigation.
DCI Jimi Tele said: “It was a shocking incident that left a young woman seriously injured. Our hearts go out to his supportive family at this terribly difficult time.
He said detectives were making “good progress” in hunting down the attackers, but needed the public’s help and it was “crucial” that anyone saw anything suspicious in the area. Consort Road in the early hours of Sunday or who has heard reports since then. get in touch.
Mr Tele added: “Finally, I recognize that this incident will have shocked those in the local community and beyond.
“I would ask people to avoid speculating on the motive or the circumstances behind this.”
No arrests have been made to date.