BBC’s Martin Bashir Used ‘Deceptive’ Methods To Get Princess Diana Interview, Report Says – fr

0
25
BBC’s Martin Bashir Used ‘Deceptive’ Methods To Get Princess Diana Interview, Report Says – fr


LONDON – The BBC has apologized after an investigation found journalist Martin Bashir used “deceptive behavior” to secure a landmark interview with Diana, Princess of Wales.

An independent report released Thursday after a months-long investigation found Bashir acted inappropriately and violated the publicly funded broadcaster’s editorial guidelines in order to gain access to the royal, who had told him in the November interview. 1995 that “there were three of us in this marriage. . ”

She was referring to her husband Prince Charles’ affair with Camilla Parker Bowles, whom he would marry in 2005, eight years after Diana died in a car crash in August 1997.

The landmark interview was watched by over 20 million people in Britain and sent shockwaves through the royal family. Months after it aired, Diana and Charles divorced.

Bashir’s interview came under intense scrutiny following the release of a documentary by UK broadcaster ITV titled “The Diana Interview: Revenge of a Princess,” which aired last November. He claimed that Bashir had a graphic designer create fake bank statements, which he then used to convince Diana that royal employees were being paid to spy on her.

Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, tweeted by November 8, he knew that Bashir “had used false bank statements and other dishonesty to get my sister to do the interview.” “

Spencer also claimed he found out that the BBC was also aware of the fake bank statements. He asked the network to apologize for the forged documents that led him to introduce Bashir to his sister.

Download the NBC News app for the latest news and politics

Just 10 days later, the network appointed Lord John Anthony Dyson, a former UK Supreme Court justice, to look into the circumstances of the interview.

His report concluded that Bashir had indeed ordered the bank statements and showed them to Earl Spencer, Diana’s younger brother, to “encourage him to arrange the meeting with Princess Diana”.

Responding to the findings, Bashir said in a statement he apologized “for asking for the bank statements to be faked.” It was “a stupid thing to do and it was an action that I deeply regret,” he said.

“I also repeat that the bank statements had no impact on Princess Diana’s personal choice to participate in the interview,” he added.

The investigation also looked at an internal BBC investigation after the original show, which concluded that Bashir had not coerced Diana into speaking to him.

The report states that the broadcaster “failed to uphold the high standards of integrity and transparency that are its hallmark by concealing facts in its newspapers as it was able to establish how Mr. Bashir obtained the interview. and failing to mention Mr. Bashir’s activities. or the BBC’s inquiries about them on any news program. ”

BBC Managing Director Tim Davie also apologized, saying in a statement that it was “clear that the process of getting the interview was way short of what the public was entitled to. ‘expect “.

Hours before the results were released, Charles Spencer tweeted a childhood photo with Diana alongside the post: “Some links go way back.” He has not made public comments since the report was published.

Bashir went to work for another UK network before joining ABC in the US, then MSNBC where he was a news anchor. He returned to the BBC in 2016 and resigned his post as editor of religious affairs last week after months of poor health.

The BBC revealed last year that the 58-year-old suffered serious complications from the coronavirus and had heart surgery.

After the investigation was launched, Diana’s sons Prince William and Prince Harry said they welcomed her as a chance to find out the truth about what had happened. Neither has commented since the report was released.

British police ruled out a criminal investigation into his actions earlier this year, but the findings of the independent investigation are likely to have far-reaching implications for the BBC.

It also comes at a sensitive time for the royal family, as the new generation of royals suffer from media intrusion. Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, have repeatedly complained to the tabloid press and have won a series of lawsuits against a number of media outlets.

Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this report



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here