Afghanistan: Fighting resumes in south after three-day Eid ceasefire

0
13
China Tianwen-1 Rover Mars: successful landing – fr


Fighting between the Taliban and Afghan government forces has resumed in southern Helmand province, officials said, ending a three-day ceasefire agreed to by warring parties to mark the Eid al holiday. -Fitr.

There were clashes on Sunday on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand, which has seen heavy fighting since the United States began the final withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan on May 1, a door said. – Afghan military speech and a local official.

“The fighting started early today morning and is still ongoing,” Attaullah Afghan, head of the Helmand provincial council, told AFP.

He said Taliban fighters attacked security checkpoints on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah and other districts.

An Afghan army spokesperson in the south confirmed that fighting has resumed.

The three-day truce initiated by the Taliban and quickly accepted by the Afghan government had largely taken place during the Eid holidays which ended last night.

Taliban political spokesman Suhail Shaheen said government and Islamic Emirate negotiating teams, as the Taliban referred to their ousted regime, briefly met in Qatar on Saturday. They renewed their commitment to find a peaceful end to the war and called for an early start to the talks which were stalled, he said.

Despite the ceasefire, at least 12 people were killed on Friday in a mosque outside Kabul by a bomb explosion claimed by the jihadist group Islamic State.

Isis said his fighters placed an explosive device inside the mosque and detonated it after worshipers arrived to offer prayers on the second day of Eid al-Fitr, the American supervisor of jihadist groups. The shelling killed the imam of the mosque, who led the prayers.

Isis also claimed to have blown up several power grid stations over the weekend.

Before the ceasefire, violence had exploded in several provinces of Afghanistan – including the former insurgent strongholds Helmand and Kandahar.

A series of explosions outside a girls’ school in Kabul last week killed more than 50 people and injured dozens, most of them female students.

The government blamed the Taliban, but the group denied the attack.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here