Quebec Premier tells young people to “follow the rules” as COVID-19 emergency measures are extended

0
14
Click to play the video: `` The Premier of Quebec calls for patience as emergency measures against COVID-19 continue ''



[]).push(function () { viAPItag.display(“vi_1088641796”) }) || []).push(function () { viAPItag.display(“vi_1088641796”) })

Quebec is extending emergency measures to three regions as the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to gain momentum in the province.

Premier François Legault announced the move on Tuesday, saying schools and non-essential businesses will remain closed in the Quebec City, Outaouais and Chaudière-Appalaches regions until April 25.

“The situation is serious and could continue to worsen,” Legault told reporters.

The rules, which previously only applied in parts of Chaudière-Appalaches and the Outaouais, will be expanded to cover all two areas starting Wednesday.

The latest decision comes as Quebec faces a growing number of new cases and hospitalizations linked to last week’s health crisis. Legault added that “with the variant, no region is immune,” but the province will not tighten restrictions in Montreal and surrounding areas – for now.

The story continues under the ad

“We have two great months to come,” he admitted.

READ MORE: Canada reports first blood clot in AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine recipient

He also spoke to young Quebecers who are fed up with public health orders following two nights of protests against the curfew in Montreal. The province lowered the curfew to 8 p.m. in the city this weekend to limit the spread of the virus.

Legault said he understood people were fed up with the restrictions after 13 long months, but encouraged them to hang on a bit longer.

“I’m not judging you. On the contrary, we must recognize all the efforts you made last year, ”he said.

“But more and more young people are getting sick, so please follow the rules to protect yourself.”





2:14
Quebec Premier calls for patience as emergency measures against COVID-19 extend



Quebec Premier calls for patience as emergency measures against COVID-19 extend
The story continues under the ad

Asked about the vandalism that occurred during a protest against the curfew, Legault said most Quebecers support the province’s public health measures and “don’t want to see it.”

“I think it’s a very, very small minority of Quebeckers doing this,” said Legault. “For now, I think the situation is under control and if it happens again, the police will be there.”

READ MORE: Quebec reports nearly 1,500 new cases of COVID-19 as hospitalizations continue to rise

With the presence of variants, the Prime Minister also added that Quebec cannot return to some kind of normalcy until all adults who want a vaccine do not receive their first dose. The province cannot fully reopen just because the majority of seniors have had their first chance, according to Legault.

The government is still on track to give a first dose to any adult who wants one in early summer.

Legault said the lifting restrictions will be phased in.

“I am not saying that all the measures will disappear on the evening of June 24,” said Legault.


Click to read the video: `` Quebec health officials confirm the safety of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine after first report of blood clot in Canada ''




2:04
Quebec health officials confirm the safety of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine after first report of blood clot in Canada



Quebec health officials confirm the safety of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine after first report of blood clot in Canada

With files from the Canadian Press

Show link »

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

[]).push(function () { viAPItag.display(“vi_1088641796”) }) || []).push(function () { viAPItag.display(“vi_1088641796”) })

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here