Governments of France, Mali urged to investigate civilian casualties of French airstrike

0
9
Governments of France, Mali urged to investigate civilian casualties of French airstrike




ANI |
Updated:
02 Apr 2021 10:24 IS

Paris [France], April 2 (ANI): Human rights groups called on the French and Malian governments to conduct an independent investigation into the French airstrike in Mali which left dozens of civilian victims.
On Tuesday, the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali (MINUSMA) released a report claiming that 19 civilians were killed on January 3 near the village of Bounty, when two French fighter jets dropped bombs on a group of people identified as Islamist militants, Sputnik reported.
The French Defense Ministry, however, rejected these conclusions, arguing that the attack was aimed at an “armed terrorist group”.
According to UN reports, Mali’s defense ministry also denied the deaths of civilians, saying the strike was launched “during a joint operation with French forces”.
“We demand that the light on the January 3 airstrike be shed, and join the recommendations of MINUSMA which called on the French and Malian authorities to conduct an independent and transparent investigation into this incident,” rights groups said. the man in a joint statement on Thursday, further said in a report.
Seven human rights organizations signed the statement, including the Malian Human Rights Association, the International Federation for Human Rights and the French branch of the Oxfam charity.
Earlier in January, at least 19 civilians were dead after French fighter jets dropped bombs on a rally in central Mali, a new United Nations investigation found, raising new concerns about a growing conflict. deadliest, the Washington Post reported. (ANI)



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here