Alarmed friends called 999 when gym owner started live streaming Facebook about his own death

Alarmed friends called 999 when gym owner started live streaming Facebook about his own death

A gym owner who broadcast his own death live on Facebook may have issued a “cry for help” rather than intent to kill himself, an investigation has found.
Jonathan Bailey, father of four, known to his devastated friends as “Baz” or “Bazza”, had posted on social networks that he was going to kill himself.

As he began live streaming video of his actions on Facebook, his horrified friends made a series of 999 calls.

According to Stoke on Trent Live, an investigation into his death revealed that police were too late to save Mr Bailey.

The hearing was told officers had two different addresses for Mr. Bailey, as he had moved the previous week, and they dispatched patrols to both locations within minutes.

Bazza Bailey was known to her friends as a champion of the community

But by the time the 50-year-old was found, he could not be resuscitated. He was pronounced dead at his apartment in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, on July 11 last year.

The owner of a popular gym, known for his charitable and volunteer work, had struggled with mental health issues since his twenties. She had been diagnosed with an emotionally unstable impulsive personality disorder.

In the week before his death, Mr. Bailey’s mental state deteriorated significantly. He had cut his wrists and also threatened to jump off a roof.

Friend Craig Spillane, who heads mental health group Men Unite, said: “He was clearly in a dark place. ”

He described him as “a good guy” and tried to help him solve his problems.

Mr Spillane was at home on July 11 when his daughter-in-law alerted him to an alarming Facebook post, in which Mr Bailey said he was “going to kill himself”.

“I called 999. I knew I had to go straight to his apartment,” Spillane said in a statement. “While I was driving my daughter-in-law shouted ‘oh my god he’s doing it live on Facebook’.”

Mr. Spillane reached the apartment block and managed to get inside the building.

Best friend Stefan Hanks said: “He could barely stand. He was shaking and cold.

Mr. Bailey was a father of four

Staff at Harplands Hospital felt his physical health needed to be addressed before he could receive a mental health assessment, so he was advised to attend A&E.

Two consultant psychiatrists and another mental health expert performed the assessment several hours later.

Dawn Burston, of North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare, said he was considered “at high risk”, although he said he had no thoughts of suicide.

“The team indicated that he would benefit from an admission to Harplands Hospital to support him during this time of crisis,” she told the inquest. “Mr. Bailey, however, refused this admission. ”

“I ran and noticed the door was slightly unlocked, but with a chain. I just opened the door by the shoulder, snapping the chain.

He found Mr. Bailey hanged and tried to bring him down. Police then arrived and began CPR while paramedics were on their way.

The inquest heard that just the day before his death worried friends spotted Mr Bailey on the street and took him to Harplands Hospital. He had taken diazepam.

Doctors tried three times to persuade him to change his mind.

Jonathan Bailey
Friends and family of Mr Bailey were shocked after his death

During the investigation, family and friends asked why the doctors had not separated him under the Mental Health Act.

Ms Burston, who investigated the case after the death, said they did not have the power to detain him as he was deemed to have the ability to make his own decisions.

Mr. Hanks and another friend brought him home that evening and he seemed to be doing a little better.

Jonathan Bailey - who was known as Baz or Bazza
Mr Bailey was a popular gym owner who lived in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Andrew Franks, Mr Bailey’s uncle, said he did not believe his nephew was planning to kill himself. “He had had many calls for help over the months and people were coming to his aid. He knew people would come to his aid, ”he added.

North Staffordshire Senior Coroner Andrew Barkley said he was not convinced Mr Bailey intended to kill himself, despite being in a ‘downward spiral’.

He recorded a narrative conclusion, adding, “He died from the effects of self-suspension in circumstances where his intention was unclear. ”

Need help? The Samaritans o set up a confidential assistance line 24 hours a day. You can also contact them by SMS on 116 123, e mail: [email protected] or visit their website here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here