As WWE Champion Bobby Lashley and challenger Drew McIntyre head to their
Lashley, who had previously put a bounty on McIntyre’s head, lost control of his temper to the point where he kicked Shelton Benjamin and Cedric Alexander out of The Hurt Business. Even after losing the two men who helped him climb to his first world championship, Lashley still found a way to end the night standing – and standing on top of McIntyre. All it took was a little help from an invading SmackDown roster member.
CBS Sports was with you all night, bringing you recaps and highlights of all the action from the ThunderDome.
Bobby Lashley dissout The Hurt Business
After addressing the bounty Lashley had placed on McIntyre during an opening show promo, Lashley turned his anger on Cedric Alexander and Shelton Benjamin, saying he would not be associated with incompetence. Alexander and Benjamin disputed this, with Benjamin saying he would not be spoken to like a child. This led to Lashley attacking both Alexander and Benjamin, exposing the two before declaring The Hurt Business “over” for both.
Bobby Lashley bat. Shelton Benjamin via soumission with the Hurt Lock. Benjamin and Alexander faced off against Adam Pearce, demanding that Benjamin receive a match with Lashley this week and Alexander have one next week. Benjamin nearly scored in surprise after hitting Paydirt, but Lashley sent off before retaliating, hitting two spinebusters and blocking the Hurt Lock for the win as Benjamin passed out in the cargo hold.
There was no good reason to end The Hurt Business. The dominant heel champion with a stable was awesome, but the group worked a lot together. WWE has a hard time letting groups – whether it’s a stable team or tag – just exist. The match with Benjamin was solid for what it was, but why would you ever want to break up The Hurt Business? Category B-
King Corbin tries to collect the bounty
Drew McIntyre bat. Ricochet via pinfall after a Claymore. McIntyre spent much of the show waiting for anyone on the list to attack. When the attack never happened, McIntyre broke into the locker room and asked someone to fight him. After no one took him, he confronted Ricochet, who said he didn’t care about Lashley’s words but was always ready to fight. After a brief game, McIntyre hit a Claymore for the finish. He was then attacked from behind by Mustafa Ali.
Drew McIntyre bat. Mustafa Ali via pinfall with a Claymore. McIntyre hosted a fight with Ali, leading up to the game. Ali relentlessly attacked McIntyre’s knee until McIntyre was able to hit a header and a Claymore for the win. McIntyre took the microphone and asked Lashley to face him and finish him off. This brought Lashley into the ring, where McIntyre said nothing he was doing would stop the match from going at WrestleMania before saying Lashley’s actions prove he is scared. This led to a brawl between the two before McIntyre kicked him out of the ring with a head butt. Smackdown’s King Corbin then appeared to blind McIntyre before hitting a Deep Six, allowing Lashley to lock down the Hurt Lock. Lashley would lock the hold three times before the show aired.
McIntyre demanding a fight was exactly what his character should do, and the choices of those who got involved made sense, from Ricochet, who fought with honor, to Ali, a devious heel looking for a opportunity, before ending up with Corbin. , who was exactly the kind of man who would make the move out of personal interest. McIntyre is now having trouble heading to WrestleMania, exactly as his face should be. Category B
What else happened on WWE Raw?
- Sheamus def. Riddle via pinfall after a knee jumping. Sheamus had attacked Riddle backstage before the game. As Sheamus celebrated the victory, Riddle attacked him and threw him over the top rope, setting up a WrestleMania match between the two.
- Braun Strowman bat. Jaxson Ryker via pinfall with a running powerslam. Ahead of the game, Shane McMahon shared a “fifth grade report card” and a photo of Strowman in a donkey cap, calling him irrefutable proof that Strowman is mentally challenged. He then vowed to beat Strowman at WrestleMania before Strowman came into the ring and passed through Ryker. Strowman has announced that he will face McMahon in a steel cage match at WrestleMania.
- Miz and John Morrison created the “Hey Hey, Hop Hop” music video. After the long video, Bad Bunny and Damian Priest came to the ring before Bunny let go of Miz with a right hand.
- Randy Orton did a backstage promo, claim that he should have known that turning The Fiend on fire wouldn’t end him because he’s not a normal man. Later in the series, Bliss appeared in her playground, saying The Legend Killer would die at WrestleMania.
- Xavier Woods bat. AJ Styles par disqualification after Omos’ intervention. Prior to the match, The New Day defeated Styles and Omos in a variety of board games. After the match, Omos knocked out Woods and Kofi Kingston.
- Naomi def. Shayna Baszler via spit with a roll-up. A host of distractions including Lana, Dana Brooke, Mandy Rose and Nia Jax led to the finish.
- Rhea Ripley and Asuka have signed their contract for WrestleMania. Ripley flipped the table in Asuka’s face before Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler came to the ring and challenge Ripley to team up with Asuka and face them next week, reenacting exactly what they did with Bianca. Belair and Sasha Banks on SmackDown.