Woody Allen denies Dylan Farrow abuse allegations again

0
12
Woody Allen denies Dylan Farrow abuse allegations again


In the wake of the March 14 finale of the documentary series “Allen v. HBO’s Farrow, ”Woody Allen’s first American TV interview in nearly three decades, was posted today on Paramount +.
The interview, which took place in July but has taken place and now follows the four-part series finale, was conducted by CBS News correspondent Lee Cowan for “CBS Sunday Morning.” (Allen was not on the HBO series.)

In their conversation, Allen reiterated the arguments he has made since being first accused in 1992 of assaulting then-7-year-old Dylan Farrow. At the time, he was in the process of publicly separating from Mia Farrow, with whom he had been in a relationship for over 10 years.

The couple broke up after Farrow found out Allen was having an affair with his 21-year-old adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn, who has now been his wife for 24 years. Allen insisted the allegations were fabricated by Mia in response to their public falling out.

“It’s so absurd and yet the smear stuck and they still prefer to hang on if not the idea that I assaulted Dylan and then the possibility that I assaulted her,” he said in the interview. “Nothing that I have ever done with Dylan in my life can be misinterpreted like this.

“Why is a guy who’s 57, I’ve never been accused of anything in my life, I’m suddenly going to drive in the middle of a contentious brawl for custody at Mia’s country house again… a child 7 year old girl. On the surface, I didn’t even think this needed investigation.

Allen, who has never been charged, also said he would like to speak to Dylan but has not seen her since the allegations first surfaced. “She was a good kid, and I think she thinks so,” he said. “I don’t believe she is making things up, I don’t believe she is lying, I believe she believes it.

Allen also commented on his relationship with Previn, expressing no regrets that it started while he was still with Farrow. As for the many actors who have said they won’t work with Allen in the future, the filmmaker again portrayed himself as a victim: “I think they’re well-meaning, but they’re stupid. All they do is persecute a perfectly innocent person, and they allow this lie, ”he said.

The 35-minute streaming exclusive features approximately 17 minutes of Allen’s interview, plus Gayle King’s “CBS This Morning” 2018 interview with Dylan Farrow and a new segment from “CBS Sunday Morning” correspondent Erin. Moriarty on the separation of art from the artist, especially in cases of misconduct.

The interview was conducted as part of the publication in 2020 of Allen’s autobiography, “Apropos of Nothing”, which was abandoned by the original publisher Hachette Book Group but published by the independent press Arcade Publishing. According to CBS News, the decision to reveal the interview now came down to the timing and flexibility offered by the streaming platform.

“The interview, which took place last summer during an active news cycle, is presented now in light of the renewed interest in the controversy surrounding the filmmaker,” a CBS News representative said in a report. press release published in The Times. “Paramount + exclusivity provides the opportunity to explore Allen, his career and the allegations in the context and with the depth that this story demands.”

Paramount +, a massive rebranding of CBS All Access, launched on March 4. Shortly after this launch, the service drew criticism from customers when it was unable to broadcast Oprah Winfrey’s hit CBS interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, as Winfrey retained rights.

When Variety asked Allen’s spokesperson, his sister and producer Letty Aronson, if CBS News had informed them of the repackaging of the interview for Paramount +, Aronson said no and called the decision “completely dishonest and outrageous.” “.

“I hope future people will consider this before they trust the show,” she told Variety.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here