The total number of arrests during spring break in Miami Beach has now surpassed the 1,000 days of unrest that followed, with many people coming from out of state “to indulge in lawlessness and an attitude of lawlessness. gone “everything is fine,” officials said.
The updated figures come as officials also voted to extend curfews and closures at the popular tourist destination until April 12, although some residents have reportedly complained about having to wait in traffic jams until April 12. four hours after the police closed the bridges in the hope of stopping unruly crowds. of the collection.
However, more and more photos continue to emerge from the Miami Beach arrests. Fox News has contacted the city police department for further comment.
MIAMI BEACH POLICE SEIZES AT LEAST EIGHT GUNS DURING ROWDY WEEKEND
More than half of the more than 1,000 arrests came from outside the state, said city manager Raul Aguila, adding that many came “to indulge in lawlessness and an ‘all is well’ party attitude. “.
He also said the crowds did not eat at restaurants or patronize businesses to help generate much-needed tourism dollars, but simply gathered in the thousands on the streets.
The crowds – who fought in the streets, destroyed restaurant property and refused to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic – sparked concern from Miami Beach Police Chief Richard Clements last Monday as ‘they seemed larger than normal on a generally quieter day.
“We couldn’t go on anymore,” Clements said in a meeting Sunday with city officials, defending the curfew. “I think it was the right decision. ”
Miami tourism officials say billions of dollars were lost when the pandemic first broke out last year, canceling spring break and forcing beach closures across Florida. The city’s tourism arm just spent $ 5 million on its biggest national advertising campaign in 20 years.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
At the same time, local authorities have banned alcohol on the beach, as well as all alcohol sales after 10 p.m., in an attempt to curb the parties. The city even sent text messages on mobile phones to tourists to warn them: “Responsible or arrested holidays”.
“I just feel like it’s really not fair,” tourist Heather Price told NBC 6. “People have paid a lot of money to come here, just so they can’t do the activities they want. ‘they wanted. ”
Bradford Betz and Fox News’ Associated Press contributed to this report.