Investigators contacted attorneys for Cuomo’s aides, interviewed senior state health officials and assigned the governor’s office to documents relating to the alleged withholding of the data, the sources said.
The New York Times first reported the investigation earlier Friday, citing four anonymous sources with knowledge of the investigation.
Health officials are being asked about COVID-19 cases linked to nursing homes and death data the state submitted to the Justice Department last year, sources told the Post.
The investigation, which is overseen by the Eastern District of New York, opened with interviews with senior members of the Cuomo Coronavirus Task Force, but is now looking at Cuomo and his most senior associates.
The state’s health ministry’s July report to the justice ministry only listed nursing home residents who died from the virus while still in their nursing home beds – downplaying the number deaths excluding those who died after being taken to hospital.
His administration waited eight more months before spitting out the true totals; as The Post exclusively reported last month, Melissa DeRosa, one of Cuomo’s best assistants, was caught on camera admitting the book was cooking to prevent then-President Donald Trump[ing] this in a giant political football.