COVID-19: New cases of record-breaking variants in Alberta on Tuesday include two more Brazilian variants

0
25
COVID-19: New cases of record-breaking variants in Alberta on Tuesday include two more Brazilian variants


Content of the article

Another record number of new cases of highly contagious COVID-19 variants were reported in Alberta on Tuesday, including two more of the Brazilian strain.

Almost all of the 197 new variant cases were the British strain (B.1.1.7), with the exception of two more of the Brazilian variant (P.1) found in Calgary, bringing the province to a total of four case P1. The last record was set on Sunday with 184.

The province reported 465 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and hospitalizations rose to 290, an increase of 10. There are 6,231 active cases including 1,378 in the Edmonton area.

Three other people have died from COVID-19, including a 90-year-old man and an 80-year-old woman in the Edmonton area linked to the Churchill Manor outbreak, and an 80-year-old man linked to an outbreak in Red Deer Regional Hospital Center.

10 cases of variations in public schools

Superintendent Darrel Robertson said at an Edmonton Public School Board meeting on Tuesday that 14 cases of COVID-19 variants had been found in 10 schools, but that no variant cases had spread to them. classrooms to date.

Content of the article

“All positive COVID cases are reviewed for variants by Alberta Health Services, and there is a delay in notifying the school division when a variant case is confirmed because it takes time to run the additional tests on. the swabs they get, ”Robertson said.

“I also know that when there is a confirmed case of a variant in one of our schools, Alberta Health Services also does additional close contact screening for transmission of the variant.

He also said the province had not told the board of directors whether education workers would be a priority in the next steps of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.

Hide the warnings in Edmonton

Meanwhile, Edmonton bylaw officers have warned more people to wear masks in recent days.

Statute officers issued 295 warnings over violations of mask regulations from March 15 to 21, according to a press release from the city. This is up from the 132 and 87 warnings each given the previous two weeks.

Ticket sales have not increased, however. Only six tickets were distributed during this period, compared to 12 and 10 the previous two weeks.

A warning and a ticket each were distributed from March 15 to 21 for violating the public health law.

City saw spike in COVID-19 tickets earlier this year with 33 tickets and 409 warnings given the last week of January.

Since last August, regulations officers have issued 6,221 warnings and 381 tickets on mask regulations, as well as 31 tickets and 400 warnings for violating the Public Health Act.

Free rapid test program grows

On Tuesday, the provincial government made an announcement regarding expansion its free rapid test program. Applications for businesses and other organizations have opened up and at least two million more tests are available.

Content of the article

Anyone can apply, but the government has said it will prioritize those working with vulnerable populations or in high-risk settings, first responders and other essential services, and industry related to ” reopening of economic and social activities, ”according to a press release.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro said the kits have been used successfully in other settings.

“This expansion of our rapid testing program supports our overall COVID-19 strategy, to protect those most at risk, to protect lives and livelihoods, and to adapt our actions to new evidence as it emerges.” He said in a press release.
“I am happy that we are able to provide businesses and service providers with another tool to quickly find cases and break the chain of transmission.

About 1.2 million tests were scattered throughout previous programs.

The province has 1.3 million tests ready to ship, another 700,000 shipments and another million packages are expected to arrive within about a month, said Alberta Health spokesperson Tom McMillan.

[email protected]

twitter.com/laurby

[email protected]



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here