This time last year, fans were saying goodbye to The arrow, DC’s long-running flagship series on The CW. But many of us were excited about Green Arrow and the Canaries, a planned spin-off that debuted as a backdoor pilot episode in The arrowthe last season.
But unfortunately, The CW has decided not to resume the series. “They are in the midst of a debate to see what we can do,” said CW president Mark Pedowitz, as the series could find a second life on HBO Max. “I’ve had a lot of discussions with Warner Bros, we have a strategy in play – hopefully we can get there.” Still, that seems unlikely as the distribution contract options expired last year and have yet to be renewed.
Green Arrow and the Canaries was a spin-off series focused on women in 2040, which follows Oliver Queen’s daughter Mia Queen / Green Arrow (Katherine McNamara) as she teams up with Canaries Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) and Dinah Drake (Juliana Harkavy ). McNamara tweeted the news, saying she was heartbroken over the cancellation and thanked fans for their support.
Needless to say, my heart is broken … I would have loved to go on a trip with MiaSmoak. Thank you all for their love and support. GreenArrowandtheCanaries OlicityBaby Arrow green @TheCW 🖤🏹💚 https://t.co/nGg66pd9Pt pic.twitter.com/5ZIlOpqFvq
– Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) January 8, 2021
With Super Girl is entering its last season and Canaris cancellation, the women’s DC series are taking a hit. But with new series like Wonder Girl on the horizon, there is still hope that the future of the CW superheroine slates. And of course, there’s always HBO Max.
(via Deadline, image: Katie Yu / la CW)
- Here’s a list of comics to read in preparation for WandaVision. (via THR)
- Too many Elder Scrolls games, not enough time. (via CBR)
- Frank Grillo talks about his stunts Captain America: Winter Soldier. (via Collider)
- Tired: Babadook as a queer icon. Wireframe: Groggy like a queer icon.
- RIP Michael Apted, Director of Coal Miner’s Daughter, The Chronicles of Narnia: Journey of the Dawn Treader. (via Variety)
- A Gilmore filles/Fire emblem to crush? We’re listening. (via Kotaku)
- Alright, I’ll bite. What is a Virgin River? (via Pajiba)
- * Voice of Nelson Muntz * HA HA!
I lose it pic.twitter.com/8pLcGVeNUp
– Viane Londoño ❄️ (@vianerds) January 8, 2021
A White House official tells me that people in the West Wing are “depressed” today, and those who don’t have jobs already lined up fear being unemployed.
– Elaina Plott (@elainaplott) January 7, 2021
Whelp, it’s been a hell of a week, Mary Suevians. Stay safe there!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comments policy that prohibits, but is not limited to, personal insults towards anybody, hate speech and trolling.
Do you have any advice we should know? [email protected]