- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could reunite with the royal family during the Queen’s birthday celebrations in June.
- Royal aides told The Sunday Times that the scale of the event would be adapted to meet the government’s social distancing restrictions in place at the time.
- Another aide said Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are expected to return for the event as it is a ‘family occasion’.
- Harry previously spoke of his intention to return to the UK in 2021 and said he “would have been back by now without COVID”.
- Visit the Insider home page for more stories.
Plans are reportedly being put in place for the Queen’s 95th birthday celebrations in June, and Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are expected to attend.
The Sunday Times reports that the monarch is determined to ‘get things back in hand’ with Trooping the Color, an annual parade held every summer at Buckingham Palace in honor of her birthday.
The parade, which typically consists of 1,400 marching soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians at Buckingham Palace, will likely be scaled down to meet social distancing restrictions that will be in effect in June, when it is due to take place.
Last year’s event was replaced with a social-distancing military ceremony at Windsor Castle. He was not followed by any member of the royal family other than the Queen.
Royal assistants told The Sunday Times that Trooping the Color was both an official occasion and a ‘family occasion’ and therefore the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should attend.
A senior royal aide told the publication: ‘The current plan is for the Queen’s birthday parade to take place as normal in London, with the acceptance that it may need to be adapted or scaled down to suit. directives in force at the time. But the aspiration and the ultimate desire is to achieve it. ”
While Harry and Markle can attend the event on June 12, it also means they’ll likely be there to celebrate Prince Philip’s 100th birthday on June 10.
Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Buckingham Palace declined to comment when contacted by Insider.
The Sussexes bought their first home together in Santa Barbara, Calif., In August. They have not returned to the UK since stepping down from royal duties in March 2020 due to travel restrictions put in place amid the coronavirus pandemic.
England is currently on a nationwide lockdown, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson announcing last week that the nation’s stay-at-home order would be in place until at least mid-February.
Harry and Markle have yet to announce their official intention to reunite with the Royal Family when restrictions ease. However, the Duke had previously said he hoped to return to the UK in 2021.
“We have quite a Rugby World Cup next year so I definitely plan to come back. I would have been back without COVID by now, ”Harry said during a video call with the Rugby Football League. August.