The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have reportedly ditched social media as they focused on their new roles in the United States.
Harry and Meghan, who have amassed more than 10 million followers on their official royal Instagram account, were reportedly disappointed with the ‘hate’ they encountered online.
The Sunday Times reported that the couple, who stepped down as royals last year, did not intend to use social media for their nonprofit, Archewell, and that it was very unlikely that he would return to the sites in a personal capacity.
It comes after days of criticism of social media companies for giving a platform to Donald Trump, the US President who was suspended from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram indefinitely last week after inciting a crowd to attacked the US Capitol in Washington DC on Wednesday.
Harry and Meghan’s main social media account was @sussexroyal on Instagram, which has 10.4 million subscribers but has not posted any new content since March 2020.
The couple agreed not to use the word “royal” in their spring branding last year as they began new, more financially independent roles in the United States.
Meghan has previously spoken of the ‘almost insurvable’ toll of online abuse and said she was the most trolled person in the world in 2019. Appearing on the Teenager Therapy podcast in October of last year, she said: ” I’m told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the world, male or female. Now, eight months later, I wasn’t even visible, I was on maternity leave or with a baby.
“But what could have been made and produced is almost insurvable, it’s so big, you can’t think what that looks like, because I don’t care if you’re 15 or 25, if people say things about you that are not true, what it does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.
Archewell, which they founded last year, does not have an official social media presence. Its goal, according to its website, is to “unleash the power of compassion to drive systemic cultural change” through nonprofit activities and “creative activations across the business verticals of audio and production. “.
The couple have signed multi-year, multi-million pound deals with Spotify and Netflix, with the intention of producing a series of podcasts and documentaries.
The apparent social media split comes a year after an official statement on the Sussex Royal website said the couple would continue to use those sites in their new roles.
He said: ‘Yes the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to have a social media platform. They look forward to continuing to use social media and believe their updated media approach will allow them to share more, with you, directly. “