Harry and Meghan has listed more than 10 million Instagram followers as royals, but have not posted to the @SussexRoyal account since stepping down from their professional responsibilities last year.
The couple set up the Archewell Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at “driving cultural change” and putting “compassion into action,” but a report in The Times suggests it will not have pages of social media.
Sky News understands, however, that the suggestions they plan to “quit” social media are broadly valid – as they are not currently using any of those platforms.
Sky royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills has said that while no official comment from the couple’s team is forthcoming, Harry and Meghan “currently have no social media to leave”.
However, it is understood that they will continue to “bring attention to ways to improve the digital world in a more compassionate and trustworthy way”.
The couple have spoken out on the negative aspects of social media in the past, with the Duchess of Sussex citing the ‘almost insurmountable’ experience of trolling online.
In October, she revealed that she had no social media accounts for its “own preservation”.
“For my own preservation, I haven’t been on social media for a very long time,” Meghan told Fortune magazine’s Next Generation Most Powerful Women Summit.
“I made the personal choice not to have an account so I don’t know what is there.
“And in a lot of ways it’s helpful to me.
Meghan had her own personal social media accounts before she married into the royal family, but deleted them.
The @SussexRoyal Instagram account was last posted on March 30, 2020, thanking followers for their support and urging people to stay safe amid the debut of the coronavirus pandemic.
It’s been a year since Harry and Meghan said they were retreating from royal life.