China has reported 33 new cases of Covid-19, mostly in Hebei province, where authorities have suspended metro service and announced tough new restrictions ahead of the Lunar New Year.
This report of Reuters:
Mainland China reported 33 new cases of COVID-19 on Jan.8, up from 53 reported a day earlier, the country’s national health authority said on Saturday.
The National Health Commission said in a statement that 14 of 17 locally transmitted infections were in Hebei, the province surrounding Beijing which this week entered “war mode” as it battles a new cluster of infections. coronavirus.
Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei, announced on Saturday that it would suspend service to its metro. Earlier this week, authorities banned people from leaving the city in an attempt to curb the spread of the disease.
Shijiazhuang is launching mass tests on its population of 11 million. On January 8, city officials told residents they had to stay in their homes for at least seven days, even after taking a nucleic acid test.
The commission also reported 38 new asymptomatic cases, up from 57 a day earlier. China does not classify these patients, who were infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes the disease but do not yet show symptoms of COVID-19, as confirmed cases.