San Francisco (AFP)
Conservative social network Speak was taken offline on Monday, tracking websites showed, after Amazon warned the company would lose access to its servers for its failure to properly control violent content.
The site’s popularity has skyrocketed in recent weeks, becoming the number one free app in Apple’s App Store after the much larger Twitter banned U.S. President Trump from its platform for his role in inciting a riot at the United States Capitol last week.
Messages of support for Wednesday’s attack in Washington DC – as well as calls for more protests – had flourished on the platform, leading Google to remove it from its App Store on Friday, followed by Apple on Saturday.
Amazon then confirmed that it would suspend the platform of its cloud hosting services to allow “threats of violence.”
In a letter to the owners of Parler, the web giant announced it would suspend the service before 11:59 p.m. Sunday (Monday 7:59 a.m. GMT).
The Down For Everyone Or Just Me tracking website showed Talking Offline just after midnight, suggesting that its owners had not been able to find a new hosting partner.
In a series of posts on Talk Saturday, CEO John Matze said the site would go down the next day and accused the tech giants of “war on free speech.”
“They will NOT win! We are the world’s last hope for freedom of expression and free information, ”he said.
Parler did not respond to an AFP request for comment.
The social network, launched in 2018, works much like Twitter, with profiles people can follow and “parlys” instead of tweets.
In its early days, the platform attracted a host of ultra-conservative and even far-right users.
But it is now attracting many more traditional Republican voices.
Fox News star Sean Hannity has 7.6 million subscribers, while his colleague Tucker Carlson has 4.4 million.
Elected officials in attendance include Republicans Devin Nunes, a California congressman, and South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem.
Trump is not known to have a Speaking profile.
Talking’s recent growth has been supercharged after last week’s violence in DC as new users, furious at Twitter’s ban on Trump, rushed to the app calling for more protests.
In a now-deleted post, an account believed to belong to Lin Wood, a pro-Trump lawyer, demanded that Vice President Mike Pence be put before a firing squad – threats which US media say led to a secret service. investigation.
© 2021 AFP