The Indian team filed a formal complaint after the game on Saturday after bowlers Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj complained that they heard racist slurs while on the pitch near the border.
Siraj approached the referee on Sunday showing him the stands and the action was cut short when police kicked a small group of supporters off the ground.
Cricket Australia has launched a parallel investigation with NSW Police, promising to take “the strongest action” against anyone convicted.
“It is very unfortunate that an otherwise excellent test match played in great spirit by two friendly rivals has been marred by the actions of a small number of spectators in the past two days,” said the official. Integrity and Safety Sean Carroll in a statement.
“As hosts, we apologize again to the Indian team.”
Venues New South Wales, which operates the stadium, said security camera footage was being reviewed to aid the investigation and all fans identified as engaging in racial abuse would be banned from the cricket ground Sydney and other major Sydney stadiums.
Indian regular captain Virat Kohli was fined half his match fee in 2012 for responding to crowd abuse at Sydney Cricket Ground by gesturing to them with his middle finger.
Kohli, who returned home after playing the first test to witness the birth of his first child, said the racial abuse was totally unacceptable.
“After going through a lot of incidents of really pathetic things being said on the dividing lines, this is the absolute peak of the rowdy behavior,” Kohli said on Twitter.
“It’s sad to see this happening on the pitch. The incident must be examined with absolute urgency and seriousness, and strict action against offenders must set the record straight for once.
Australian coach Justin Langer has joined in the condemnation.
“It’s overwhelming and it’s disappointing,” he said. “It’s one of my biggest pet hates in life that people think they can come to a sporting event and abuse it or say whatever they want. I hated it as a player and I hated it as a coach. It’s really sad to see this happening in Australia. ”
India’s Ravichandran Ashwin said the team had been insulted by spectators in Sydney in the past, but racial abuse crossed a line in the current match, which is played in front of a small crowd of less than 10,000 .
“It is certainly not acceptable these days. This definitely needs to be dealt with with an iron fist and we need to make sure it doesn’t happen again, ”said the bowler.
According to the International Cricket Council anti-discrimination policy, it is Cricket Australia’s responsibility to investigate the incident and submit a report to the world governing body within two weeks.
A man has been banned from attending cricket matches in New Zealand for two years after being found guilty of abusing England’s fast pitcher Jofra Archer while on tour in 2019.