Driving the news: Details are still being worked out, but Pence wants TV channels to broadcast the moment live in the morning, the source said, in order to maximize the audience for the vaccination.
- The vice president, who led the White House coronavirus task force, will be joined by Second Lady Karen Pence and Surgeon General Jerome Adams.
- The surgeon general is one of the most senior African-American officials in the U.S. government and has tried to build trust in vaccines in communities of color.
- Adams plans to appear at a town hall later this week as part of his vaccine awareness among African Americans, the source added.
In numbers: As Axios’ Margaret Talev reported, “The share of Americans who say they will receive the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it becomes available has doubled since September, with more than one in four now raising their hands , according to the latest episode of the Axios / Ipsos Coronavirus index.
- “Overall, 27% of Wave 33 respondents to our weekly national survey say they plan to get the vaccine as soon as it becomes available, up from 13% in September. Another 11% say they will get it a few weeks later; 25% say a few months later; and 15% say they will wait a year or more.
- “40% of Americans aged 65 and over now say they will take it as soon as it becomes available – a big jump from just 15% three months earlier. “
The other side: “29% of black Americans, 26% of Republicans and 21% of all respondents say they don’t plan to get the vaccine regardless of the time that passes,” Talev reported.