Two dead, four sent to hospital in London, Ont, after wall collapsed at construction site

0
36


Two people have died after a four-story wall collapsed at a construction site in London, Ont., City officials said on Friday.

Earlier today, firefighters dug out debris in hopes of rescuing a person trapped in the rubble.

On Friday evening, the city said emergency responders confirmed the trapped individual was dead.

“With a heavy heart, we send our deepest condolences to the relatives of the deceased,” the city said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured as well.”

Authorities said one person died earlier in the day and four others were injured in a partially constructed apartment building in the west of the city and were sent to hospital.

“Two are in fair condition, one is in serious condition, one is in critical condition,” the city said. A fifth person had minor injuries.

Everyone involved was working on the site when the wall collapsed just before noon.

“Today is a difficult day for Londoners,” Mayor Ed Holder said in a statement.

“I know the community joins me in expressing our deepest condolences to the families of the two who lost their lives today, and in expressing our care and concern for those who have been injured and who remain at home. hospital.

“I thank all of our first responders and our emergency management team for their swift action and unwavering commitment to serving our community in the aftermath of this tragic incident.”

The Ontario Ministry of Labor had two investigators and an engineer at the site, which it said was managed by Brock Developments.

The address is listed as ‘Nest on Wonderland’, a future ‘premium’ low-rise apartment building, scheduled for completion in Spring / Summer 2021.

Michelle Doornbosch, president of Nest on Wonderland, said she is fully cooperating with regulators in their investigation.

“It’s an extremely sad day for Nest on Wonderland,” she said in an email.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

“We are devastated by this incident and our thoughts remain with the affected workers, their families, friends and colleagues. Our first priority is always the safety of our employees, contractors and the community in which we work and live.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on December 11, 2020.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here