Rules clarified for visiting France from the UK with a pet


The EU will stop recognizing UK pet passports next year, which means pet owners will need to prepare in advance before traveling with a pet to France.
However, the UK is not classified as an ‘unlisted’ country, the least favorable pet travel status, which would have resulted in additional complications and delays.

There are three possible statuses with regard to a ‘third country’ (non-EU / EEA) and pet travel within the EU: Part 1 or Part 2 listed, or not listed.

A key EU committee has now voted to place the UK on its ‘part 2’ list for pet travel and a new EU regulation applicable from January 1 has confirmed its listing on list 2.

The three possible travel statuses for pets are in order of additional formalities.

In all scenarios, existing UK pet passports from the EU would not have been recognized after the end of the Brexit transition period, as the UK is treated fully as a third country. However, the countries listed in Part 1 may issue new EU recognized national pet passports.

The Part 1 listing would have meant that the process for pet travel is similar to today, except that owners are using a new UK pet passport instead of a European passport.

If a country is not listed, a UK pet passport is not recognized, so owners should ensure the pet has all the required individual documents. Also in this case, the animal must have had a rabies titration blood test at least three months before its trip to the EU, which proves that its rabies vaccination is working.

The part 2 list which is what the UK needs to get is like not being listed in some ways, but the titration blood test is not required.

UK Department Defra says the Part 2 list means a pet traveling from Britain to the EU will need an ‘animal health certificate’.

This document is valid 10 days after its date of issue for entry into the EU, and is valid for up to four months for a single trip, a subsequent trip to the EU and re-entry to the UK.

You would have to visit an “official veterinarian” (OV) to get it, and ask for a bilingual vet in French and English, Defra says. Not all vets are OVS – there is information on how to find one, and more on post-Brexit pet travel on the UK government’s website.

Defra has asked OVs to prepare to issue them from December 22.

Your pet should also have been vaccinated against rabies and be up to date with recalls and should be microchipped.

As before, the UK requires pets to receive tapeworm treatment from a veterinarian between 24 and 120 hours (five days) before entering or re-entering the UK.

The UK has said it will continue to recognize European pet passports for travel to the UK.

Previous article

Brexit: will the animal need a rabies antibody test to travel to the UK?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here