Paparazzi agency will not target Meghan in future, High Court says | UK News

0
16


A paparazzi agency who took photos of the Duchess of Sussex and her young son Archie on a walk near their home has ‘illegally invaded’ their privacy and agreed not to take any further photos of the family at the future, a court said on Friday.
Judge Nicklin heard the statement in open court during a remote hearing on Friday regarding a privacy and data protection complaint of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and her son with Prince Harry against Splash News and Picture Agency.

The agency is now under administration – but a statement read to the court said the parties had agreed to settle the claim over the photos, which were taken in a “remote rural setting” in a Canadian park. He continued: “The directors of Splash UK have undertaken that if the entity comes out of administration, Splash UK will not take any photographs of the Duke and Duchess or their son in the future.”

A spokesperson for the couple’s law firm Schillings said that while the case was successful, another lawsuit against a sister agency based in the United States would continue.

The spokesperson said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have successfully settled a lawsuit brought earlier this year against paparazzi agency Splash UK.

“This settlement is a clear signal that the illegal, invasive and intrusive behavior of the paparazzi will not be tolerated and that the couple take these matters seriously – as any family would.

“A concurrent and similar claim against Splash US, a sister company of Splash UK, continues to advance in the UK court system.”

Meghan’s lawyer, Jenny Afia, told the court that “taking the photographs was an unlawful invasion of privacy.” She said the photos were taken “on a private family outing to a remote rural setting and the photographs were of no public interest.”

She noted that the day before the photos were taken, a Splash photographer had undertaken “a full reconnaissance inspection of the Duke and Duchess’ private home, going around looking to identify points of entry and exit. exit and placing his camera over the fence to take pictures ”. .

A representative of the agency’s directors, Neil Allen, said they accepted the contents of the statement.

At a hearing in September, the Duchess’s lawyer Jonathan Barnes said Meghan and her son had been ‘patted’ on by an agency photographer.

He said the agency sold the footage, taken on January 20 of this year, which shows the Duchess walking with her son in a baby carrier and her two dogs, in Horth Hill Regional Park on the Isle of Vancouver in Canada.

The case was brought by Meghan on her own and by her and her husband, the Duke of Sussex, on behalf of Archie.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here