The club said it was “following proper protocols” after several unidentified players and backstage staff contracted coronavirus.
The Telegraph revealed on Sunday that four players and a member of staff tested positive for the virus last week.
All players and staff were then tested at home on Sunday, with sessions and injury treatments at the club’s training base on Sunday and Monday canceled.
It is now understood that there were more positive tests when the latest set of results was received by the club on Monday afternoon, with the Chronicle further reporting more mass testing amid fears of further infections.
Newcastle are expected to be in action against Aston Villa on Friday night, but it looks like Steve Bruce’s side won’t be able to train before then.
However, Premier League rules make it unlikely that the club will postpone the meeting, despite rules that every player or staff member who tests positive must self-isolate for 10 days.
The Premier League has told clubs that only a massive outbreak among the senior squad could force a postponement.
14 players would need to be excluded for the club to move to call off the game – but the Premier League would count the Under-23s with experience around the senior squad as viable options to fill the game.
The Premier League confirmed on Monday evening that it recorded 10 positive tests in the past week out of 1,381 players and club staff tested.
Newcastle does not name any of the people who have tested positive.
In Friday night’s 2-0 victory at Crystal Palace, they were without a number of first-team stars including Andy Carroll, captain Jamal Lascelles, Emil Krafth, star man Allan Saint-Maximin, Isaac Hayden and goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.
It has not been revealed which of these absences was linked to Covid or other injuries.
Sign up for the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip