Willy Sanjuan / Associated press
Last month’s exhibition fight between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. was a smash success, as it drew over a million pay-per-view purchases and tens of millions of dollars in revenue.
According to Josh Peter of USA today, Tyson’s Legends Only League, which promoted the event, reported generating over 1.6 million pay-per-view purchases and over $ 80 million in revenue based on figures provided by Triller.
Although Triller has not confirmed the numbers, the spokesperson for Triller Michael Goldberg said the card was ranked in the all-time top 10 among combat sports events in pay-per-view purchases.
The show marked Tyson’s return to the ring for the first time in over 15 years.
The fight, which cost $ 49.49 on a PPV, was ruled a draw despite Tyson’s statistical dominance, but Tyson and Jones both appear to be big winners.
By Peter, documents provided by the California State Athletic Association show Tyson and Jones were both guaranteed $ 1 million for the fight. More money is undoubtedly to come for both of them, and they are expected to split it equally.
YouTuber Jake Paul and former NBA player Nate Robinson, who co-led the event, are also expected to receive a share of the proceeds.
Tyson’s brother-in-law and part owner of the Legends Only League, Azim Spicer said hundreds of thousands of additional late purchases could be added to the 1.6 million pay-per-view figure.
Last month’s card featured a unique mix that could serve as a template for future boxing events. In addition to the show’s main event between two boxing icons and the novelty of Paul vs. Robinson, there were four other fights, musical performances throughout, and an appearance by Snoop Dogg on commentary.
Through Marc Williams of TalkSport, Tyson expressed interest in returning to the ring following the Nov. 28 bout with Jones, saying, “We have to start over. “
Even at 54, Tyson remains a huge draw, which means The Baddest Man on the Planet’s career rebirth is just beginning.