Lockerbie attack: a new suspect soon indicted

0
41


image copyrightGetty Images

legendA total of 270 people died in the Lockerbie bombing on December 21, 1988

The United States must open charges against a Libyan suspected of fabricating the bomb that detonated Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988, according to US media.

They say US prosecutors will soon be pushing for the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad to stand trial in the United States.
He is currently being held in Libya, according to the Wall Street Journal. This has not been confirmed by the Libyan authorities.
The terrorist attack killed 270 people in the Scottish city.
Most of the victims on the London-New York flight were US citizens.
Libyan national Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was the only man convicted of the 2001 bombing.
Megrahi, who has always proclaimed her innocence, unsuccessfully appealed her conviction.
But he was later allowed to return home after it emerged he had terminal cancer. He died in 2012.

What are American media reports?

The US Department of Justice is expected to open a criminal complaint against Mr. Masud in the coming days, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing senior officials in the department.

He says it will open a new chapter in one of the longest and most extensive terrorist investigations in the world.
Meanwhile, The New York Times says it’s unclear exactly where Mr. Masud is. But he adds that he was jailed in Libya at one point for crimes unrelated to him.
Mr. Masud is said to have been one of the main bombmakers of the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Neither the US Department of Justice nor Libyan authorities have commented publicly on the matter.

Lockerbie Bombing – Timeline

American and British investigators indicted Megrahi in 1991 but he was not handed over by the Libyans until April 1999.

May 2000 – A special trial under Scottish law begins on neutral ground at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands.
January 31, 2001 – Former Libyan intelligence officer Megrahi is convicted of mass murder and jailed for life with a minimum sentence of 27 years.
Mars 2002 – Megrahi loses an appeal against her conviction.
September 2003 – The Scottish Criminal Review Commission (SCCRC) is called upon to investigate Megrahi’s conviction.
June 2007 – The SCCRC recommends that Megrahi get a second appeal against his conviction.
Aug 18, 2009 – Megrahi’s decision to drop her second appeal is accepted by the judges of the High Court in Edinburgh.
August 20, 2009 – Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, is released from prison on humanitarian grounds.
May 2012 – Megrahi dies at his home in Tripoli, at the age of 60.
July 2015 – Scottish judges rule relatives of Lockerbie bombing victims should not be allowed to appeal on Megrahi’s behalf. The courts had previously ruled that only the next of kin could apply posthumously.
July 2017 – Megrahi’s family has launched a new offer to appeal his conviction.
Mars 2020 – The Scottish Criminal Case Review Commission has said Megrahi’s conviction is subject to further appeal.

Related topics

  • United States

  • Lockerbie
  • Libya

Previous articleWhite House Coronavirus Task Force Warns of Rise in Cases in More Populated States

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here