Joshua has high expectations for a possible showdown with Fury

0
49


London (AFP)

Anthony Joshua insists a successful fight against Tyson Fury “will bring out the best in me” after his British rival claimed he would beat the world heavyweight champion in three rounds.

Joshua picked up a ninth round stoppage victory over Kubrat Pulev on Saturday to retain his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts at Wembley Arena.

After a successful return to the ring in his first fight for 12 months, Joshua immediately found himself immersed in the debate over an all-British showdown with champion WBC Fury.

Amid reports that the highly anticipated fight is slated for 2021, Fury took to social media to say, “I want the fight, I want the next fight and I’m going to knock him out in three rounds. ”

Joshua has no plans to back down after Fury’s clash, although obstacles in the super-fight path include his mandatory WBO challenger Oleksandr Usyk and another possible meeting between Fury and Deontay Wilder.

” It’s good to hear. At least I can get him in the ring. That’s what we want, isn’t it? So he’s on the right track, ”Joshua told the BBC, when asked about Fury’s taunts on social media.

“I said he was talented and he would bring out the best in me. So that’s awesome.

“I saw his fights, I watched him, so when I fight him it will be good to change those odds and put them in my favor. ”

Joshua has a 24-1 career record as he continued to prove his shock loss to Andy Ruiz Jr in June of last year was an aberration.

The 31-year-old looked in good shape in front of 1,000 fans against Pulev, who took a tally in the third round and was knocked down two more times in the ninth round.

“I started this game in 2013, I chased all the belts, I was dealing with mandates, so of course I want a challenge,” Joshua said.

“For me, I’ve stuck with what I know best: boxing, looking at where I’m going to put my punches and putting them together.

“When they succeed, they succeed, but like I said, it’s less talk, more action. ”

Now attention is turning to the Fury fight and its promoter Eddie Hearn has said work will begin to secure a deal on Sunday.

“Sometimes there are words back and forth from both camps – I don’t think that’s going to do any good,” Hearn told the BBC.

“We all want to fight. The time has come. We’re going to start the ball rolling. I don’t think it’s that difficult.

“The crux of the deal that I’ve always said is now agreed in terms of numbers and allocation of money. There are only a few minor details. So there is no reason why we cannot be operational. ”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here