Other changes could be on the horizon for Denis Villeneuve DUNE now that Legendary Entertainment is challenging WB’s plans to launch a hybrid HBO Max theatrical release model for its 2021 movie slate. You see, Legendary funded 75% of the budget for Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong, two films set to win big at the box office, assuming they never hit theaters. Under Warner’s new release strategy, both films will open in theaters on the same day they become available to stream exclusively on HBO Max for 31 days. However, a new report released by Deadline suggests that Legendary could prevent Dune to go to HBO Max.
Compared to Deadline, “Legendary is in a big fight that could lead to legal action after funding 75% of the tents Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong and was completely blind. Rumors have the solution to this violation being to preserve Dune as a traditional theater to preserve its franchise potential and since its October 1 release date falls well past the estimated late spring date when Covid vaccines are expected to achieve collective immunity. Godzilla vs. Kong could remain an HBO Max hybrid in its May 21 slot, but only if Warner Bros. makes a deal with Legendary that uses the $ 250 million value established when the film was purchased earlier on Netflix as a basis. ”
RELATED: Timothy Chalamet on SNL Apparently Backs Legendary Vs HBO Max
When Legendary initially announced his irritation with Warner’s bold new plan Dune Via HBO Max, the studio argued that posting Villeneuve’s latest sci-fi odyssey on the streaming service could potentially kill its chances of becoming a full-fledged franchise. As it is, Dune is the first of a two-part plan for the latest adaptation of Frank Herbert’s novel. The film is also designed to pave the way for a TV series, which could also be put in jeopardy if the film does not sell like gangbusters at the box office.
There is also the question of Godzilla vs. Kong, which Legendary was considering selling to Netflix before Warner Bros. started stealing. Netflix reportedly bought the tentpole monster mash for $ 250 million, but WB didn’t. That said, Legendary is looking for WB to pony up the $ 250 million if they are to keep the long-lasting kaiju battle.
From this point on, it looks like Legendary is willing to sacrifice Godzilla vs. Kong à HBO Max si Dune is kept for theaters.
“There is absolutely no love for the cinema, or for the audience here,” Villeneuve said when he heard about Warner Bros. ” decision to move Dune à HBO Max. “This is about the survival of a telecommunications mammoth, which currently bears an astronomical debt of over $ 150 billion. Therefore, while “Dune” is about film and audiences, AT&T is talking about its own survival on Wall Street. With the launch of HBO Max having failed so far, AT&T has decided to sacrifice Warner Bros. ‘all slate 2021 in a desperate attempt to grab public attention.
While a decision on what to do with either movie has yet to be settled, the two Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong are planned for a hybrid version on October 1, 2021, and May 21, 2021, respectively.