The owner of Adamson Barbecue in Etobicoke was indicted last month after opening up dining inside to customers, despite provincial orders banning the service.
A day after the restaurant was closed by Toronto authorities, a crowd of supporters reportedly entered a cordoned-off section of the building in an attempt to reopen the establishment. Owner Adam Skelly, along with another person, were arrested by Toronto police.
Indoor dining has been banned in Toronto since October 10, and in-person service on outdoor patios was banned when the city was closed on November 20.
Skelly, 33, has been charged with several offenses including one count of attempting to obstruct police, one count of mischief under, one count of failing to comply with an extended order under the the reopening of Ontario and one count of failing to leave when requested under the Trespassing Act.
He was released on bail the next day under numerous conditions.
In a press release on Monday afternoon, officials in Toronto said the medical officer of health lifted the requirement in the Health Protection and Promotion Act to order the closure of Adamson Barbecue.
“The lifting of the section 22 order requirements would allow the Adamson Etobicoke location to open for take out, deliver or drive only as permitted by the lockdown regulation, subject to compliance with the regulation on business licenses from the City of Toronto and the adoption of a DineSafe Inspection, ”the press release said.
“If this location does not comply with the prohibition order and lockdown regulation and is open for indoor and / or outdoor dining, the owner, business and / or its employees and agents could be the subject of contempt of court. ”
The reopening of Adamson Barbecue is conditional on the restaurant obtaining a business license, which the city says the owner has been convicted of three times since 2017.
The city said operating without a business license can result in a fine of up to $ 25,000 for an individual and $ 50,000 for a corporation.
“The city’s MLS letter also warned the owner that a court can order the premises to be closed for a period of up to two years when an owner is found guilty of knowingly operating without a business license,” he said. declared the city.
The restaurant remains subject to a provincial order “preventing them from violating foreclosure regulations under the Ontario Reopening Act (ROA).”
Speaking to reporters on Monday afternoon, Toronto’s medical officer of health, Dr Eileen de Villa, said the restaurant’s closure had been canceled because “the conditions that required the order in the first place are no longer present for the moment.
“There is no need for the order at the moment. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other rules to follow. ”
Toronto Mayor John Tory added that he supported any action the city has taken against the restaurant and that if future rules are broken there could be serious consequences.
“This is a person who has been a repeat offender in this area, and when you are a repeat offender, then there needs to be more serious consequences for you if you continue to commit offenses,” Tory said.
“We will be watching this very closely.”