Under the Level 4 restrictions, non-essential businesses will be forced to close, including clothing stores, gyms, hairdressers and restaurants.
Nicola Sturgeon announced the restrictions – which are expected to remain in place for three weeks – during an emergency press briefing on Saturday.
Closures will likely be another blow to stores during what is typically a busy Boxing Day sales period after an already difficult year for retailers.
Orkney, Shetland and the West Isles are the only exempt areas and will upgrade to level three – allowing non-essential retailers to open.
So what are the essential stores that will remain open across Scotland below level 4?
All unlicensed and licensed supermarkets, grocery stores, markets, takeaways, newsstands and stores can remain open.
Pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and pharmacies will remain open. This includes:
- Vision Express
DIY and housewares
Household items, building materials, hardware and bicycle stores will be allowed to remain open. This includes:
- Offers at home
- Next Home
- The toolbox
Garden centers and nurseries are classified as essential. This includes:
Certain travel-related services – including the sale of cars – are considered essential. This includes:
- Petrol stations (including in supermarkets)
- Auto repair and technical inspection services
- Taxi or vehicle rental companies
- Outdoor car parks
Banks and post office
The post office and banks will be open throughout the Level 4 lockdown. Services include:
- Construction companies
- Credit unions
- Short term loan providers
- Savings clubs
- Points of sale and companies which, in a professional capacity, operate a bureau de change, transmit money (or any representation in cash) by any means or in cash by check made payable to customers
- Post office
Pet shops and veterinarians
Veterinarians and pet stores are considered essential.
Medical and health services will be available during the okdown. These include:
Sales made in outdoor spaces can serve customers. This includes:
Parking lots and toilets
Other essential services, such as parking lots, toilets and storage will be opened.
- Public toilets
- Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery or collection points
- Funeral directors
- Laundromats and dry cleaners