Brad Raffensperger, Georgia GOP Secretary of State, said recount results would show “no substantial change”

0
121


News of the looming recount results is another blow to President Donald Trump, who continues to baselessly claim widespread electoral fraud in the state and has pursued legal action in the state. The president has repeatedly attacked Republican state officials, including Raffensperger and Gov. Brian Kemp, for failing to overturn the result in his favor, though both men distinguished themselves from other National Party leaders in systematically rejecting his allegations of fraud.

“We haven’t seen any substantial change in the results of any county so far. And that’s what we expected, and I think that’s what most others have as well, ”Raffensperger said at a press conference from the southern stairs of the Georgia Capitol.

He also said 110 counties completed their work on the recount as of Wednesday morning and that he expects all 159 counties in the state to complete their recount before midnight. The results of the recount will begin to be posted online from Wednesday afternoon.

Gabriel Sterling, responsible for implementing voting systems for the secretary of state’s office, told the press conference that they plan to recertify the presidential election results on Friday afternoon.
There is no evidence of widespread electoral fraud in Georgia, which Biden won by more than 12,000 votes. Almost 5 million votes were cast statewide.

For weeks the president made a series of unsubstantiated allegations of fraud in Georgia that state officials disputed. The back and forth around the election results have intensified in recent days, after Joe DiGenova, a Trump campaign lawyer, called for violence against Chris Krebs, a former cybersecurity official who dismissed the allegations of Trump’s election fraud and ousted from his post. DiGenova then tried to reconsider his comments by describing them as a joke.

Sterling pleaded Tuesday for Trump and other Republicans to speak out against threats to election workers and election officials, saying “everything has gone too far.”

“You have to act and say this… stop inspiring people to commit potential acts of violence,” Sterling said, addressing the President. “Someone is going to be hurt, someone is going to be shot, someone is going to be killed, and that’s not right. ”

Tim Murtaugh, communications director for the Trump campaign, told CNN on Tuesday that “the campaign is about ensuring that all legal votes are counted and not all illegal votes are counted.” No one should engage in threats or violence, and if that has happened, we condemn entirely. ”

Trump and Vice President Mike Pence are expected to travel to Peach State this weekend to campaign for Republican Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, both of whom face a January election that could determine which party controls the room.

Raffensperger’s office announced earlier this week that it had launched an investigation into several progressive groups it said would register people who are not eligible to vote in the second round of Senate elections.

America Votes, Vote Forward and the New Georgia Project have “repeatedly and aggressively sought to register ineligible, out-of-state, or deceased voters prior to the Jan. 5 Senate second round,” the secretary’s office said Wednesday. State in a press release.

Georgia Assistant Secretary of State Jordan Fuchs told CNN on Wednesday that in recent weeks their office had received hundreds of reports of mail-in vote requests that were sent to people who don’t actually live in households. Raffensperger also told Wednesday’s press conference that three postcards addressed to his late son from the New Georgia Project were sent to the family’s home.

The New Georgia Project denied any wrongdoing in a statement Monday, saying Raffensperger “resurrected a tired and false claim” against “the group’s” legitimate efforts to register Georgians eligible for election. ”

America Votes spokesman Sahil Mehrotra told CNN on Wednesday in a statement that the group had emailed nominations from registered Georgian voters to “safely vote by mail in the January second round” and that the letters had been sent to a voter registration list maintained by the Secretary of State. .

CNN has contacted Vote Forward for comment.

This story has been updated with additional information.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here