WARREN, me. – The Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC) has issued an emergency liquor license and permit suspension for Andiamo’s Warren restaurant on East 14 Mile Road, in violation of Michigan’s current COVID-19 restrictions.
According to the MLCC on Tuesday, the suspension was pronounced on December 10 for LV Management Inc. d / b / a Andiamo Italia.
MLCC suspended the licensee’s Class C liquor license and permits for Sunday sales, dance performances, additional bars and catering services, in violation of allowing indoor gatherings and allow individuals to assemble without having to wear a face mask.
The suspension does not affect the other Andiamo sites.
Seven other companies were also subject to an emergency suspension last week. Since September, a total of 21 establishments across Michigan have had their liquor licenses suspended.
According to the suspension report, on December 4, the Law Enforcement Division of MLCC investigated a complaint that the licensee allowed the gathering inside. The complaint, investigators said, concerned a wedding party that took place on November 29 with more than 75 guests in attendance.
The report says investigators attended the scene on December 4 to investigate and noticed a seating chart listing 62 guests with table assignments. The report said that if the tables were properly spaced, “guests weren’t socially distanced at tables or when mingling in the ballroom.” None of the guests wore a mask.
In addition, about 40 people were in the ballroom.
In November, Joe Vicari, owner of the Andiamo restaurant chain with co-owner Rosalie Vicari, wrote a letter to Michigan restaurants urging them to challenge Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the COVID-19 shutdown orders from the Department of Health’s ‘State and reopen.
At the time, Michigan was on a “three week break,” from Nov. 18 to Dec. 8. We wondered if Whitmer was going to extend the break. Eventually, the break was extended for another 12 days – until December 20.
“We must unite and fight against this closure,” Vicari wrote. “Our industry cannot survive another long term shutdown. We are stronger if we stand united and use our force to respond. “
Joe Vicari has since backed down and made his intentions clear after writing the letter to fellow restaurateurs, saying he never wanted to defy mandated orders and that his top priority was to protect the health and safety of everyone in the middle. of the pandemic.
“It has been a devastating experience for all of us. The safety of our community is our top priority, as we have all been affected and are all fighting this pandemic – some more deeply than others. Our intention with our letter to restaurant owners in Detroit was to come together to have an open conversation about how we can preserve restaurants in the Detroit metro area while preserving the livelihoods of our employees and preserving the health and safety of our people. safety of our community ”, read a press release released on December 4.
“We never have and never will defy orders. Our goal is to determine what happens next. How do we find a solution that not only promotes the economy of our big cities, but protects all residents of the Metro Detroit area, including our employees who are also family? “
A post-suspension hearing for the Andiamos in Warren is scheduled for December 18 to determine whether the suspension should continue or whether further fines and penalties should be imposed.
Copyright 2020 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.