Content of the article continued
“The campus community member is self-isolating and all appropriate cleaning protocols and measures have been taken,” the university said in a statement.
“As with all cases of COVID-19, WECHU will take the lead in contact tracing… There is no additional risk to the campus community like this time around.
St. Clair College also recently updated its website to indicate that a person who had been on campus had tested positive for COVID-19.
On Monday at Queen’s Park, NDP Education Critic Marit Stiles confronted the provincial government and Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce over the outbreaks at Begley and Langlois.
Stiles asked why “no additional measures (have been) announced to protect students and staff?”
Lecce replied that Stiles was undermining parents’ confidence in their institutions, “in the absence of knowledge of the facts.”
“99.95 percent of students are COVID-free in Windsor and all parts of this province,” Lecce said. “It… highlights that the plan we unveiled, approved by this province’s medical officer of health, is working.
Stiles countered that there had been more than 3,800 school-related COVID-19 cases in Ontario as of Monday, up from 1,770 at the end of October, with positivity rates on the rise in children under 10.
“We know the government has refused to cap classes at 15 to reduce the risk,” Stiles said. “Are they going to at least speed up the testing, tracing and screening in our schools?”
– with files from Taylor Campbell and Mary Caton