Toddler shot dead as Ontario police confront father charged with kidnapping

0
36


A one-year-old boy was killed Thursday after the Ontario Provincial Police opened fire on a vehicle driven by his father, who had been accused of kidnapping the toddler.

SECOND TEEN DIE AFTER SACRAMENTO MALL SHOOTING

The man was shot dead by police but is believed to have survived, according to VICE News.

The 33-year-old father was “airlifted to hospital in serious condition,” the provincial Special Investigation Unit wrote in a statement. “Inside the van was a one year old boy. He was shot and killed at the scene. ”

Authorities have not identified the boy or his father. The suspect’s truck had crashed into a police car, hitting an officer outside the car as police investigated the kidnapping. Officers were summoned following a family disturbance complaint involving a firearm at around 8:45 a.m.

Kawartha Lakes Mayor Andy Letham told the National Post his community is “in disbelief” and the work of the OPP is greatly appreciated.

Provincial Police Commissioner Thomas Carrique said in a tweet that York Regional Police will assist in other parts of the shootings investigation.

The officer, treated at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto, is now in stable condition, he noted.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“I ask that (the SIU) and (York Police) have the time to investigate, without speculating on events as they unfold,” Carrique said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with those who suffer today.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here