Tesla joined 28 other companies to form the Zero Emission Transportation Association or ZETA, an industry coalition that advocates policies that would result in 100% electric vehicle sales in the United States by 2030. ZETA’s primary goals align on the plans of US President-elect Joe Biden: “Positioning the US auto industry to win the 21st century.”
According to the ZETA press release, the new organization plans to create thousands of new jobs, secure the United States’ position as a world leader in EV manufacturing, and improve public health by reducing pollution from carbon. ZETA will focus on five key policy pillars – listed below – during its advocacy for full adoption of EVs by 2030, which it discusses in its brochure.
- Consumer incentives
- Domestic manufacturing
- Investments in infrastructure
- Emissions / Performance Standards
- Federal support for national and local politics
ZETA’s five pillars align with Joe Biden’s plans for the auto industry. The president-elect detailed his ideas for adopting clean vehicles in “The Biden Plan to Build a Modern, Sustainable Infrastructure and a Fair Clean Energy Future,” which claims Biden helped save the auto industry there. is eleven years old. He has six major goals for making the American auto industry great again, which are listed below.
- Use the power of federal purchasing to increase demand for clean, U.S.-made and U.S.-sourced vehicles.
- Encourage consumers and manufacturers to clean up.
- Make significant public investments in automotive infrastructure – including 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations – to create good jobs in industries supporting vehicle electrification.
- Accelerate research on battery technology and support the development of national production capacities.
- Set a goal for all new buses built in the United States to be zero emissions by 2030.
- Set ambitious fuel economy standards that save consumers money and reduce air pollution.
Several markets recently announced their intention to shift sales of new cars only to electric vehicles.
These initiatives, also known as bans on the sale of new gasoline vehicles, have taken many forms with different time frames.
– JPR007 (@ jpr007) November 17, 2020
Under a Biden administration with congressional backing, ZETA could be an influential organization in the next four years – if the goals of Biden and ZETA align. Joe Britton, who spent 15 years working in the US Senate, has been appointed executive director of ZETA. With her experience, Britton has the ability to ensure the effectiveness of ZETA policies. Surely he seems to have the zeal to push for 100% EV adoption.
“For the first time in a generation, transportation is the primary emitter of carbon emissions in the United States. By embracing electric vehicles, federal policymakers can contribute to innovation, create hundreds of thousands of new jobs, and improve air quality and public health, ”Britton said in the ZETA press release.
“ZETA’s formation recognizes a pivotal moment for national leadership and reflects the will of the growing clean transport industry. The next decade will be pivotal in implementing federal policies that accelerate the transition to zero-emission vehicles and help address these issues head-on. The clean vehicle sector already has hundreds of thousands of jobs, but if we encourage its growth, the United States can decisively win the global race to develop a new clean transportation economy and employ hundreds of thousands of people. Americans right here at home.