Could you use a cruise?
The CEO of Royal Caribbean International said 100,000 people have volunteered as passengers for the company’s mock cruises, which are said to be setting sail at an undetermined future date in the fight against the coronavirus.
Earlier this month, Royal Caribbean director Vicky Freed revealed that the company needs cruise enthusiasts to volunteer to prepare to return ships to service. Under new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cruise lines must conduct these tests to assess their ability to mitigate the risk of the spread of COVID-19, before officially resuming reduced-capacity navigation.
The first cruises next year could be short trips to CocoCay, Royal Caribbean’s private island in the Bahamas, Cruise Industry News reported.
MAJOR CRUISE LINES SUSPEND OPERATIONS ONCE: WHEN WILL THE CRUISE REALLY RESUME?
To this end, the cruise line recently created a “Volunteer of the Seas” Facebook group, which currently has 38,400 members, and opened an online form to rate interest.
According to Michael Bayley, CEO and Chairman of Royal Caribbean, the cruise line has been inundated with responses since the opportunity was announced, with tens of thousands of people allegedly eager to volunteer.
“And just like that… 100,000 people volunteered. We can’t wait to start this next phase with all of you! Bayley wrote in a shared Facebook post Sunday.
“It was so gratifying to receive literally thousands of emails and calls offering to volunteer,” he said in a previous post.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS
While it is not known how many volunteers can be selected for the simulated trips, when the crossings could take place and where exactly they would go, a representative from Royal Caribbean said the cruise line is delighted to have this level. Support.
“Royal Caribbean has some of the most loyal customers in the cruise industry, and we were delighted with their interest in participating in our test cruise simulations,” a spokesperson told Fox News on Monday. “This week alone, we received over 5,000 emails, not counting tweets, comments and social media posts.”
As always, the priority of the cruise line is to ensure the safety of crews and customers at sea, the spokesperson stressed.
CLICK HERE FOR CONTINUOUS FOX NEWS CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE