The Duchess of Sussex has admitted to providing personal information to the authors of a royal biography through a third party whom she knew had been approached by its authors.
In the latest set of documents filed with the High Court, Meghan’s lawyers reveal that she was concerned about her father’s account in the media that she had ‘abandoned’ him and ‘hadn’t even tried to contacting him (which was wrong) would be repeated. “.
Meghan’s lawyers add: ‘As a result, she told someone she already knew had been approached by the perpetrators that the true position as above (which this person and several others who already knew the applicant already knew) could be communicated to the authors to prevent further misrepresentation. “
Meghan insists in the document however, she is not sure to what extent any of the information was shared.
Her lawyers add: “She does not know to what extent or in what terms this single information concerning her communications with her father was shared with the authors”.
The Duchess of Sussex, 39, admitted in documents filed with the High Court that she provided personal information to the authors of Finding Freedom through a third party. Pictured: Meghan signing guestbook in 2018
Meghan’s legal team also said they did not know whether the Kensington Palace communications team was liaising with the authors of Finding Freedom on her behalf.
Meghan’s legal team’s latest judicial filings are in response to an earlier court ruling that allowed the Mail On Sunday to rely on the royal biography Finding Freedom in connection with her case, claiming she was cooperative with its authors and authorized extracts from a letter written to his former father, to be published there.
Meghan, 39, is suing Associated Newspapers, the editors of Mail On Sunday and MailOnline for breach of privacy for posting excerpts from a letter she sent to her father Thomas Markle after her royal wedding in 2018.
Details of how the letter was drafted were contained in court documents submitted to the High Court in London by Meghan’s lawyers on Monday.
Meghan is suing the Mail on Sunday for posting excerpts from the note, which she says violated her privacy. She also claims that the document infringed its copyright in the handwritten letter, sent to her father Thomas Markle (pictured together) after he was unable to attend the 2018 royal wedding.
Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex and his wife Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex wave to the Ascot Landau wagon as they head to Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018, following their wedding
The Duchess of Sussex said in documents filed with the High Court that a senior Kensington Palace press secretary was involved in “providing general ideas to a private letter” she wrote to her former father.
Meghan says she decided to write the letter to Thomas Markle following advice from two senior royals to try and get him to stop talking to the press.
Jason Knauf (pictured), who was communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, “and / or other members of the Kensington Palace communications team were instrumental in writing the letter, ”the newspaper’s lawyers told the Supreme Court
They claim she spent several weeks taking notes on her iPhone and many hours drafting the letter, then consulting Jason Knauf, communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and the Duchess of Sussex.
The document adds: “She shared a draft of this project with her husband and Mr. Knauf for help, as it was a deeply painful process that they went through with her… During a discussion between them, Mr. Knauf provided comments on this project. but no real wording, because it was a personal letter from daughter to father.
Meghan’s lawyers add: ‘The comments Mr Knauf provided were in the form of’ general ideas’ as opposed to actual wording. For the avoidance of doubt, neither Mr. Knauf (nor anyone else) created any part of the letter’s electronic project.
“The Claimant (Meghan) and Claimant alone created the electronic project, which she then hand-transcribed to her father as a letter. “
The alleged role of those responsible for the Kensington Palace communications team emerged as one of the main issues in the case.
Earlier this week, court documents submitted by lawyers for the newspaper claimed that Mr Knauf and other members of the team had helped draft the letter and, therefore, it was not about Meghan’s “own intellectual creation”.
The newspaper also alleges that Meghan wrote the letter knowing it was going to be made public and that she used it as part of a ‘broader strategy’, which she further denied in her response revised.
Meghan and her father, 76, are expected to face off in the High Court within a year if the trial continues.
The newspaper’s case is that Mr Markle (pictured with Meghan) asked her to publish excerpts from the letter, to set the record straight, as a few days earlier her daughter’s friends had revealed her existence – and mistakenly called it a “love” letter – in an anonymous interview, they gave the American magazine People
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are leaving Commonwealth service at Westminster Abbey in London on March 9 of this year, for their last royal engagement before leaving royal life.
The trial was scheduled to start on January 11, but last month Meghan won a nine-month delay after asking Judge Warby for a postponement for a “confidential” reason.
Meghan’s lawyers deny that she provided a copy of the letter to her father for the Royal Finding Freedom biography or that she cooperated with them in any way.
As part of its file, the newspaper also claims that Mr. Markle asked him to publish extracts from the letter, to set the record straight, because a few days earlier, his daughter’s friends had revealed its existence. in an anonymous interview they gave to the American magazine People, which he had the impression of having qualified it as a “love” letter.
The trial was scheduled to start on January 11, but last month Meghan won a nine-month delay after asking Judge Warby (pictured) for a postponement on ‘confidential’ grounds
An artist’s sketch of the court of Mr. Justice Warby (bottom left) Antony White QC (bottom right), for the LNA and Meghan’s attorney, David Sherborne, in a virtual hearing at the High Court on April 24
Thomas Markle shows off a memento he keeps on Harry and Meghan’s fireplace from their wedding he was unable to attend, during his Channel 5 documentary in January this year
In her response, Meghan’s legal team said she was unaware of the interview and was unaware she would be referring to the letter.
He adds that the decision to speak to People magazine resulted from the concern of his close circle of friends about the impact of the media’s “aggressive attacks” on her and that they wanted to portray who she “really was. “.
Meghan’s response also states that Mr Markle had previously said before being admitted to hospital with heart problems that he would not attend his wedding after being ‘publicly ashamed’ of staging paparazzi photographs.