Les restrictions visant à ralentir la flambée des cas de coronavirus seront étendues dans diverses régions italiennes, la Toscane et la Campanie devant être désignées comme "zones rouges" à haut risque, a annoncé vendredi le ministère de la Santé. </p><div> <p>L'Italie a enregistré un record de 40902 nouvelles infections à coronavirus au cours des 24 heures précédentes, portant le total depuis la découverte de la maladie en février à 1,107 million, soit une multiplication par trois en à peine un mois.
Seeking to limit the spread, the government last week created a three-tier system, with varying degrees of borders in each zone, initially placing four regions in a red zone, two in an orange zone and the rest in a yellow zone to moderate risk. .
He tweaked the zoning earlier this week and revised it again on Friday after reviewing the latest data, including local infection rates and hospital occupancy rates.
Tuscany and Campania will be added to the red list on Sunday, joining the rich regions of northern Lombardy, Piedmont and Valle d’Aosta, the province of Bolzano and Calabria at the foot of Italy.
People living in these areas are only allowed to leave their homes for work, health or emergency reasons. Bars, restaurants and most shops must remain closed.
Nine regions in the orange zone
Nine regions will now be located in the intermediate orange zone – Emilia-Romagna, Friuli, Marche, Abruzzo, Basilicata, Liguria, Puglia, Sicily and Umbria. Only five remain in the yellow zone, including Lazio, centered on Rome and the Veneto.
Campania went straight from the yellow zone to the red zone after doctors warned the healthcare system was on the verge of collapse, with huge queues outside hospitals and some patients put on oxygen in their cars while waiting for admission.
But even in the north, officials have warned hospitals are struggling to cope as the number of people with coronavirus grows and staff grapple with exhaustion.
“We only had four cases here in Lombardy in August. Now we have over 800 (intensive care) beds occupied by COVID positive patients, ”said Enrico Storti, director of the intensive care unit at a hospital in the northern city of Lodi.
“We now know what to do, we are now well prepared for the first wave … but we are also tired and it is not easy to find the same energy, to find the same strength that we were able to use in the first shot, ”he told Reuters.