The National Football League is limping towards the finish line of its regular season plagued by Covid-19, and worst-case scenarios are starting to emerge.
The latter will see the Denver Broncos forced to play the New Orleans Saints on Sunday with none of his three quarters available for service.
Eligible three-quarters of the Broncos, Drew Locks, Brett Rypien and Blake Bortles were ruled ineligible for the game due to close Covid-19 contact, the team said on Saturday night.
While the Broncos did not name the Covid-19 contact the three came in contact with, it is likely that reserve quarterback Jeff Driskel was the culprit. He was transferred to the team’s reserve / COVID-19 roster on Thursday, and all remaining quarterbacks have had close contact.
The Broncos won’t lose Sunday’s game, according to an ESPN report.
Lock, Rypien and Bortles were taken from the training ground and ordered to self-isolate on Saturday. The team released a brief statement saying none of them were showing symptoms of the virus.
“All three have always tested negative for COVID-19 via daily PCR tests and additional POC tests administered as a precaution,” the Broncos said.
Running back Royce Freeman will be the emergency replacement, according to Broncos coach Vic Fangio.
Broncos coach Vic Fangio previously said running back Royce Freeman was the team’s emergency quarterback. Wide receiver Kendall Hinton, a member of the team’s practice squad, played quarterback in Wake Forest before converting to wide receiver in the pros.
Sportsbook has stopped betting on the game, which had the Saints as six-point favorites before the news of the coronavirus.