Daniel Ricciardo blasted ‘Hollywood’ coverage of Romain Grosjean’s fiery Bahraini Grand Prix crash on Sunday and said he was disgusted by Formula 1 showing endless reruns while drivers waited for the race to restart .
Grosjean was fortunate enough to escape with his life after his Haas car passed through metal barriers, splitting in half and catching fire.
“I’m disgusted and disappointed with Formula 1 for showing or choosing how to show it the way they did, and broadcast reruns after reruns after reruns of the fire, and his car split into two, ”said Ricciardo of Renault. “And then, as if that weren’t enough, they go on board.
“Why do we need to see this? We are in competition again in an hour. His family must keep watching this. All of our families have to keep watching this… It’s really unfair. It is not entertainment.
Ricciardo said Formula 1, whose commercial rights are held by US company Liberty Media, was lucky it didn’t have to face a very different story.
“Showing it like it’s Hollywood is not cool. Choose to do this tomorrow, but not today, ”added the Australian driver.
A Formula 1 spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
Mercedes’s Valtteri Bottas agreed the reruns had been baffling.
“I have the impression that people, spectators want to see it. But there is also a limit, ”said the Finn. “It could have been a fraction of another, the shunt, and he wouldn’t have had any way for him to get out of the car.
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the footage was scary, but “if you’re not transparent as an organization you’re just taking the risk of someone else showing things that are beyond your control. “
The race at Sakhir was halted and delayed an hour and 20 minutes after the accident on the first lap, with track workers having to remove the metal barrier and replace it.
Haas said Grosjean was spending the night in hospital after suffering burns to the back of his hands.