Conan O’Brien leaves late night show TBS for new HBO Max variety series

0
78


Conan O’Brien is directed to see HBO Max.

“Conan,” the TBS late-night show that O’Brien hosted for 10 years, will be discontinued in June and the comedian will move to the HBO Max streaming service, where he will anchor a weekly untitled variety series, WarnerMedia announced Tuesday.

“In 1993, Johnny Carson gave me the best advice of my career: ‘As soon as possible, get access to a streaming platform.’ I’m excited to be able to continue doing everything I do on HBO Max, and look forward to a free subscription, ”O’Brien said in a statement.

TBS and HBO Max are both units of WarnerMedia, the media giant owned by AT&T.

O’Brien, 57, has been a mainstay of late night television for 28 years, first with NBC’s “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and then with his brief run as the host of ” The Tonight Show ”. He launched “Conan” on TBS in November 2010.

“Conan” was a showcase for the host’s hallmark of absurd (and especially apolitical) humor: surreal gags, silly physical comedy, quirky interviews. The show’s format was changed last year from one hour to 30 minutes.

O’Brien, who made his writing debuts for “Saturday Night Live” and “The Simpsons”, has recently expanded to other platforms, including “Conan Without Borders,” a series on the theme of trip for TBS, and “Conan O ‘Brien Needs a Friend,” a popular interview podcast.

“28 is a monumental achievement for late night television,” said Brett Weitz, general manager of WarnerMedia, TNT, TBS and truTV core cable channels. “We are incredibly proud of the groundbreaking work Conan and his team have done over their 10 years at TBS and we are very happy to continue to have his presence on our airwaves with the ‘Conan Across Borders’ specials.

“We are celebrating his success and are happy to see him grow in our WarnerMedia family,” Weitz added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here