29 residents of Toronto’s long-term care home died in latest COVID-19 outbreak

0
41


A long-term care operator said 29 residents have died in an outbreak of COVID-19 at a facility in eastern Toronto that began last month.Revera, which owns and operates a range of homes, says public health officials have confirmed that 92 residents of his Kennedy Lodge home in Scarborough have tested positive since the outbreak began on October 2.

The company says 30 of them remain active cases and 32 have recovered.

He says public health officials have also confirmed that 35 staff have tested positive for COVID-19, 17 being considered resolved and the rest are currently isolating themselves at home.

Revera says she continues to do everything she can to keep residents and staff safe, including monitoring residents for symptoms twice a day and asking them to self-isolate in their rooms.

He says all staff are screened for symptoms at the start and end of their shift and must wear a mask and goggles inside the facility.

For now, home visits are limited to essential visitors, as reported by public health officials, the company says.

“The Kennedy Lodge team extend their deepest condolences to the families and friends of residents who died during the pandemic,” the company said in a statement.

The operator said public health authorities and the Scarborough Health Network were helping manage the outbreak, especially with regards to improving cleaning and preventing infection.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here