Alain Laberge, superintendent of the Division Scolaire Franco-Manitobaine, said the decision was “difficult, but necessary”.
“Recent results from Winnipeg Regional Health indicate that there are an increasing number of reported cases in the region and although the vast majority of these cases come from outside our schools, they end up having an impact on our students and staff, ”wrote Laberge. . “In particular, there is an upsurge in cases at Collège Louis-Riel.
The letter says there are four new confirmed cases at the school and the closure is aimed at reducing transmission.
Students will be able to continue their studies through distance learning while the school is closed.
“We understand this is an unexpected downside, but we know this decision is made in the best interests of students, school staff and community health,” wrote Laberge.
Students at the school are reminded to limit their interaction with people outside of their homes to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
“Last week we had cases every day. COVID cases every day, ”Laberge told CTV News Wednesday. “We had staff, students involved, and we were concerned about the health of our students and staff. We were worried that we didn’t have enough teachers to teach while people were in quarantine. 21 were in quarantine, it was best for us to send everyone home and take a ten day break so that we could get back to normal in ten days.
Laberge said health officials told him the transmission did not occur at school, but said it was difficult to know.
“Once the bell rings at 3:30 pm and the kids are in the community, they play hockey and do gymnastics and everything,” he said. “The transmission could have happened outside of our school. ”
He added that they did not want to take the risk, knowing of the growing trend of COVID-19 cases in Winnipeg.
Laberge said on Nov. 5 that the school would reassess and determine whether it is safe for students to return to school or whether they should stay home longer.
-With files from CTV’s Jon Hendricks and Devon McKendrick