< div itemprop = »articleBody»>
Twitter blamed an “accidental change to our internal systems” and insisted there was “no evidence of hacking” as most of its users were back online Thursday night after an outage took place. derailed over 50,000 accounts.
The social media giant went down for thousands of users around the world shortly after 5 p.m. AND, leaving them unable to share tweets, see notifications, or refresh the feed.
More than 50,000 users worldwide have reported issues with Down Detector, which monitors websites and online services.
The service was back up and running for some users around 7 p.m. AND, while only 6026 failures were reported on the monitoring site.
At 8 p.m., there were only around 2,600 outages left and Twitter said the issue would be resolved for all users within hours.
The timing of the outage matters just 24 hours after the platform faced a backlash for removing the New York Post article about Joe Biden’s alleged dealings with Ukraine and Donald Trump threatened to revoke its legal protections.
Map of outages from around 5 p.m. shows outage impacting more US users, with some experiencing issues in the US and other parts of the world
Twitter said it was working to resolve the issue, but denied it was the result of a security breach or hack.
Service was at least partially restored and operational for some users around 7 p.m. ET, when only 6,026 outages were reported at the monitoring site.
By 10 p.m. most Twitter users were up and running again, and the platform said the issue would be fully resolved around midnight.
“Most of you should start tweeting again. The outage was caused by a system change initiated earlier than expected, affecting most of our servers, ”Twitter said at 9:53 pm.
“We are working hard to get Twitter back to normal and expect things to be fully resolved in 1 to 2 hours. We appreciate your patience. ‘
Twitter said earlier that it was working to resolve the issue, but denied it was the result of a security breach or hack.
“The recent issue was caused by an unintentional change we made to our internal systems,” Twitter said of the outage in a statement on its Comms Twitter page around 8:14 pm.
“Twitter should work for everyone in the next few hours. “
The latest announcement came after announcing an hour earlier that there was “no evidence” of the issue caused by a hack.
“Twitter is down for a lot of you and we’re working to get it back on track for everyone,” the social media giant said in a statement at 7:16 pm.
“We have had issues with our internal systems and have no evidence of a security breach or hack.
The official Twitter site status page shows it is investigating a “Twitter API irregularity.”
The company said it is investigating the issue and that more updates will be released.
He later added that he “continued to monitor while our teams investigated”.
The issue has caused many users around the world to encounter error messages on the website and the iOS and Android apps.
Down Detector’s outage map showed that the issues were primarily with US users, with some experiencing issues in the UK and Japan, as well as other parts of the world.
Although the site is still accessible everywhere, users have encountered an error message that says “Nothing to see here-yet”.
Many users also received the message: “Error. Something went wrong, but don’t worry – it’s not your fault and not all features were working properly.
< div class= »artSplitter mol-img-group » style= »style »>
Although the website is still accessible, many users see “Error. Something went wrong, but don’t worry – it’s not your fault, but not all features are working properly
The official Twitter site status page shows it is investigating a “Twitter API irregularity.” Some users are so frustrated that they think it’s best to shut down Twitter completely
Although the site is still accessible, users receive an error message stating “Nothing to see here – yet”
The blackout came hours after Donald Trump’s campaign account was locked down by the social media giant, sparking outrage from the Republican Party.
Twitter first blocked the New York Post story on Wednesday that Joe Biden met Ukrainian businessman Vadym Pozharskyi, an associate of his son Hunter, months before Biden pressured Ukrainian officials to fire a prosecutor who was investigating Pozharskyi’s business.
Accounts that published the story have also been locked, including the personal account of White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany and the Trump campaign account.
Twitter and Facebook – which also limited the story’s dissemination – were accused of censorship over the move.
Trump has threatened to remove U.S. legal protections – known as Section 230 – that exonerates social media platforms from liability for material posted by users on their networks.
On Wednesday night, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey apologized for the lack of explanation for the social media giant’s decision to block Biden’s story, but upheld the company’s decision to do so.
The outage occurred hours after President Donald Trump’s campaign account was locked out. Trump has now threatened to revoke protections on Twitter and Section 230 of Facebook – which prevent them from being sued for content posted on their platforms.
Twitter blocked the dissemination of the New York Post story on Wednesday that Joe Biden met Ukrainian businessman Vadym Pozharskyi
Dorsey tweeted that his company’s actions were “unacceptable” and admitted there had been a lack of communication around Twitter’s decision.
“Our communication around our actions on the NYPost article was not excellent. And block URL sharing via tweet or DM without any context as to why we are blocking: unacceptable, ”he said.
He then linked with a statement by the company that it was restricting the link because “personal and private information” had been shared in the story.
Senate Republicans on Thursday vowed to subpoena Dorsey to appear before the Judiciary Committee days before election day on Twitter, blocking the story.
But after 5 p.m. Thursday, Trump wasn’t the only one who couldn’t use the platform properly.
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey apologized Wednesday night for the lack of explanation for the social media giant’s decision to block Biden’s story, but kept the move on
Twitter released a statement Wednesday evening on the decision
In addition to leaving thousands of users frustrated with the outage, on Thursday night, city halls are fighting for Trump and Biden – and many people around the world have planned to scroll Twitter for the latest updates on events.
The two will be answering questions in different cities on different networks: Trump on NBC Miami, Biden on ABC Philadelphia.
This is the second outage on Twitter this month – the previous one was just October 1.
This incident also saw more than 50,000 reports from users on Down Detector, who lived in the United States, Europe and Asia.
Many users received an “error message” upon signing in, along with a blank news feed that only reads “try again” and features disabled – which hampered their ability to share tweets.
The peak of the outage reached around 10 a.m.ET, but much of the service was restored around 10:45 a.m.ET.