Trump campaign screams scandal over final debate topics | United States and Canada

0
79


US President Donald Trump’s campaign clashed with topics chosen for Thursday’s election debate in Nashville, Tennessee, saying the final showdown between the candidates was meant to be the “foreign policy debate” and accusing organizers of bias pro-Biden.Trump’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, in a Monday letter to the Non-partisan Commission on Presidential Debates, said the debate “has always been billed as the ‘foreign policy debate’,” as it had been ” agreed by both the Trump campaign and the Biden campaign for many months. since “.

Debate moderator Kristen Welker of NBC News on Friday announced that the topics of the debate will be the fight against COVID-19, American families, race in America, climate change, national security and leadership. It was not clear whether there had ever been a formal agreement on what the topics would be, although in previous elections foreign policy had played an important role in the final presidential debates.

President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden will face off Thursday in Nashville, Tennesee [File: Morry Gash/EPA]

In the letter to the debate organizers, Stepien denounced “the commission’s pro-Biden antics” and said the oversight of foreign policy was to the benefit of the Democratic challenger.

“We understand that Joe Biden is desperate to avoid conversations about his own foreign policy record, especially since President Trump has struck historic peace agreements between Israel, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain,” a- he wrote, alleging that the commission had intentionally sought to benefit from it. Biden in the first debate and in the second canceled.

The campaign also criticized the committee’s decision, announced on Monday, to mute candidates during parts of the debate when the other candidate speaks – a response to the chaotic first debate in Cleveland, Ohio, which s is often turned into a screaming match.

A second debate scheduled for Oct. 15 was called off after Trump refused to accept a digital format following his diagnosis of COVID-19. Instead, the contestants competed in prime-time public events on separate US television networks.

‘Nothing fair’

Trump, for his part, continued to attack the framework of the debate, while accusing moderator Welker of being a “radical left Democrat” at a rally in Arizona on Monday.

“These people are not good people,” he said of the debate committee on Tuesday in an interview with Fox News, adding that there was “nothing fair” about the event. to come up.

Despite the harsh words, Trump and his campaign said he would participate in the debate, hoping the final face-to-face meeting between the candidates will give the president a boost amid late polls before Election Day on the 3rd. November.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here