The moderator of the American debate did not publish a questionable tweet: Cable network

0
13


LOS ANGELES – U.S. cable network C-SPAN said on Friday that its political editor Steve Scully, set to moderate the now-abandoned second presidential debate, did not initiate a questionable Twitter exchange with Anthony Scaramucci and that Scully’s account had apparently been hacked. The tweet, which appeared on Scully’s Twitter account Thursday, read: “@Scaramucci should I respond to Trump,” according to a screenshot of the since-deleted tweet.

Earlier Thursday evening, President Donald Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he believed Scully was a ‘never trumper’ who had worked for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden at one point. . Scully served as an intern for then-Sen. Biden for a month in 1978.

Scaramucci, who became a Trump detractor after briefly serving as communications director, reportedly responded in part to Scully’s Twitter account, “Ignore. He spends enough time. ”

“Steve Scully is not the originator of the tweet and believes his account has been hacked,” C-SPAN said in a statement Friday. “The Commission on Presidential Debates has publicly stated that the tweet was not sent by Scully himself and that he is investigating with the help of the authorities. When more information becomes available, we will post it. ”

Frank Fahrenkopf, chairman of the Committee on Presidential Debates, said in a Fox News Radio interview with host Brian Kilmeade on Friday that Scully “had been hacked”.

A spokesperson for C-SPAN said Scully was not making any comment on Friday.

He was supposed to be the moderator of the second Trump-Biden meeting, a town hall meeting on October 15. The committee announced on Friday afternoon that the second debate had been canceled, and it was focusing on an October 22 debate that was due to take place. held in Nashville, Tennessee. Kristen Welker of NBC News is expected to serve as moderator.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here