Sports stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Dustin Johnson tested positive for COVID-19

0
14


Juventus strike Cristiano Ronaldo and world No.1 ranked golfer Dustin Johnson each announced on Tuesday that they have tested positive for COVID-19.Johnson, 36, who last competed in the US Open, has withdrawn from this week’s CJ Cup in light of the diagnosis as he begins to self-isolate, the Tour said.

“Obviously, I’m very disappointed,” Johnson said in a statement posted on the PGA Tour website.

“I was really looking forward to competing this week, but I will do my best to come back as soon as possible. I have already had a few calls with the Tour medical team and appreciate all the support and advice they have given me. ”

Ronaldo, 35, will miss Wednesday’s UEFA Nations League game against Sweden, but he is “fine, has no symptoms and is in isolation,” the Portuguese Football Association said in a statement on its website.

The federation added that the rest of the Portuguese squad had undergone testing due to Ronaldo’s positive result, but they all tested negative and would be available for the game against Sweden.

“No team can be better without the best player in the world, but this team has already shown that they collectively have the capacity to face the situation,” Portugal head coach Fernando Santos said at the ‘a press conference.

“He (Ronaldo) is handling the situation very well. He’s in the room, saying he wants to play, he’s talking to us upstairs (from his balcony), ”added Santos jokingly.

Five-time World Player of the Year Ronaldo played his side’s 0-0 draw against France in the Nations League on Sunday and Wednesday’s 0-0 draw in a home friendly against the ‘Spain.

He will now have doubts about Juve’s Serie A trip to Crotone on Saturday and their Champions League group stage opener against Dynamo Kiev next Tuesday.

Johnson has had a sensational year, winning his first FedExCup Championship in East Lake last month before taking the PGA Tour Player of the Year honors for the second time.

The news comes a week after American Tony Finau was forced to withdraw from open Shriners Hospitals for Children after testing positive for the virus, which has killed more than 215,000 people in the United States.

Finau will not participate in the CJ Cup either.

A handful of professional golfers have tested positive for the novel coronavirus since the PGA Tour returned in June, including Briton Sam Horsfield and American Scottie Scheffler, who were unable to compete in the US Open due to testing COVID-19 positive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here