Slough lockdown Tier 2: What you can and cannot do from Saturday


Slough is expected to be the first in Berkshire to enter Level 2 lockdown restrictions as coronavirus cases continue to rise in the city. This means that residents of the town of Berkshire will have to comply with tighter restrictions to try to reduce the number of cases, which currently stands at around 147 per 100,000 population.

The main difference between the current Tier 1 and Tier 2 rules is that people are prohibited from mixing with people outside their home or supporting the bubble inside.

This includes visiting other people in their homes or meeting them in public places such as pubs and restaurants.

To make it easier for you, we’ve listed the top things you can and can’t do as of Saturday, October 24.

Can my friends and family come to my house?

Households are not allowed to mix anywhere inside from Saturday.

This means that those whom you do not live cannot come to you.

However, there are some exceptions, such as support bubbles and care for vulnerable people.

Anyone who breaks the rules can be fined.

When you meet friends and family, you should:

  • follow social distancing rules
  • limit the number of different people you see socially over a short period of time – but the government has not specified this limit

Can I visit relatives in nursing homes?

Although disappointing for many people, visits to nursing homes are not permitted.

Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances.


There are exemptions from the legal limit for babysitting gatherings such as after school clubs and nannies. There are separate guidelines on this. Registered child care providers can still enter your private home to provide child care.

There is also an exemption for mixed households if the goal is to provide a “custody bubble” for childcare. A member of a household may provide informal (unpaid and unregistered) child care to a child 13 years of age or younger in another household.

For a given childcare bubble, it must always be between the same two households.

Friends or family who are not living with you and are not part of a bubble of support or child care should not come to your home to help with child care.

Can I go to the gym?

Under the level two restrictions, gyms are allowed to remain open.

Gyms and recreation centers are not required to close below level 1 or 2, but below level 3 is up to the local authorities.

Once again, social distancing rules must be followed and you must stay two meters from others.

Masks may also need to be worn in certain areas.

Can I go shopping?

Stores do not have to close under any of the new levels.

Essential stores like supermarkets and grocery stores as well as non-essential stores like clothing stores will remain open.

Masks are still a requirement and stores can limit the number of customers in store at any time.

Go to work

Office workers who can work effectively from home should do so during the winter.

Public sector employees working in essential services, including educational institutions, should continue to work as necessary.

Anyone else who cannot work from home should come to their place of work.

Employers should follow the “Covid-19 secure” guidelines. Vulnerable people can continue to work as long as the workplace is secure.

There is no limit to the size of the group when you meet or gather for business purposes.

Can I go out for a meal with my friends?

From Saturday, you can only go to restaurants, pubs and bars with the people you live with.

You cannot meet friends and family members that you do not live with in these places.

Social mixing indoors is not allowed, so it also applies to cinemas and recreation centers.

Take out is still allowed to be redeemed after ten a.m., but orders must be placed by phone, online, or mail.

Other measures include:

  • the wearing of face masks for clients and staff in certain indoor environments
  • businesses and places need to ensure that people do not meet on their premises with people outside their home or the supportive bubble
  • some companies and sites are required to collect data on customers, visitors and staff to support NHS testing and monitoring

Can I go for a walk with someone I don’t live with?

Yes, as long as the social distancing rules are followed.

Social mixing outdoors will be allowed as long as you obey other laws.

You cannot get together in groups of more than six, because of the rule of six.

A distance of two meters should also be maintained between anyone who does not live together.


You can still relocate if you are in a high alert area. Real estate and rental agents and moving companies can continue to work, and people who wish to move can continue to visit.

Can i get married?

Weddings are legally permitted, but there are restrictions no more than 15 guests, including the bride and groom, are allowed to attend the ceremony and reception.

Similar rules apply for funerals, but up to 30 people can attend.

Can I go to school, college or university?

Educational settings will remain open during the pandemic.

Separate guidelines have been issued for schools, colleges and universities to ensure safety measures are in place.

You can move and travel to go to college, but stricter rules are in place for areas in high alert areas:

  • you must not move back and forth between your permanent home and your temporary address during the specified period – subject to limited exemptions provided by law.
  • students residing at their university session address in a high alert area should follow the same advice for meeting other people and traveling as others in that area.
  • suburban students (those who live in a family home and travel to / from the university every day) should be able to continue to travel to / from their university as needed, for educational purposes.

If you are going to a high alert area to get to college, you should not:

  • meet people you don’t live with in their homes inside the region, unless they are in your home, babysitting or support bubble
  • host people you do not live with in your home, if they live in the affected area, unless they are in your daycare or in your support bubble
  • meet people with whom you do not live in their student residences, whether inside or outside the zone, unless they are in your daycare or your support bubble

If you are moving or currently living outside of an affected area, you should not:

  • host people you do not live with in your home or in student residences if they live in a high alert area (unless they are in your home, support bubble or childcare bubble)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here