Wales callbacks to Bristol should be ruled out for clash against France
Bristol Bears rugby manager Pat Lam has said Welsh duo Callum Sheedy and Ioan Lloyd will stay with the club while they wait to see if they replace the Wasps in the English Premiership final this weekend.
Wasps’ latest round of testing found the coronavirus outbreak had spread, with four new positives bringing the total number of Covid-19 diagnoses to 11 in five days – seven players and four employees behind the scenes.
This places their involvement in the climax of the domestic season against Exeter on Saturday in grave danger; The next round of testing will take place on Tuesday, with the results emerging in the early hours of Wednesday morning, when the Wasps will know if they are able to safely field a team against the newly crowned European champion Exeter.
If they can’t, Bristol – who won the European Challenge Cup this weekend – will take their place in the final having finished third in the championship. And it was on that basis that Bears boss Lam kept the controls of Wales Sheedy and Lloyd with him.
Lam told BBC Sport : “I spoke with Wayne [Pivac] and also with England – there are boys supposed to be in the camp there [on Monday], but they are fully aware of this situation.
“So if, as we expect, the wasps are going to continue, we will go on vacation and the boys will go to their camps and join, but now with this decision and this situation, all of these boys are now staying on Wednesday.”
“If the wasps are ready to go, then these boys can go to their international camps after that. ”
As Wales boss Pivac named his side on Thursday to take on France this weekend, it is almost certain that the Bristol duo will have no part in this game – even if the Wasps advance to their final – as they will not have trained with Wales last week. .
Will Rowlands of Wasps and Tomas Francis of Exeter are already unavailable.
Expected update on the shock of Six Nations women in Wales
A cloud remains as to whether Wales’ Six Nations clash against Scotland on November 1 will come after the announcement of a firewalls lockdown.
The Welsh government has confirmed that elite professional sport can continue during the lockdown, which runs from 6 p.m. on Friday 23 October to 9 November.
This means that the Wales men’s reorganized Six Nations final against Scotland can take place as scheduled behind closed doors at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday 31 October (kick off at 2.15pm).
The Welsh team of Pivac will also be free to travel to Paris to face France in a warm-up match this Saturday, October 24 (kick off at 8 p.m. UK time).
This is despite a 9 p.m. curfew that was introduced in the French capital in an attempt to reduce the surge in the rate of Covid-19 infection.
Guinness PRO14 can also be played here in Wales, with the Ospreys entertaining Glasgow at Liberty Stadium this coming Saturday.
Likewise, the Scarlets, Dragons and Cardiff Blues will be able to meet in Benetton, Ulster and Munster respectively.
But WalesOnline is awaiting clarification on the fate of Wales Women’s rescheduled Six Nations game against Scotland on November 1 at Cardiff City Stadium.
The Wales women’s last outing in the Six Nations – a heavy loss to an all-professional England side – marked their fourth straight loss.
An announcement is expected shortly.
Irish full-back Larmour could miss 2021 Six Nations start with injury
Leinster confirmed earlier today that after shoulder surgery Jordan Larmour will be out for up to four months, preventing him from making the Six Nations final over the next two weekends, the Coupe des Fall Nations, the start of the Champions Cup and possibly the start of next year’s Six Nations.
“Yeah, I’m gutted for him,” said Garry Ringrose, who was named Irish rugby players’ player of the year last weekend.
“You never like to see anyone get hurt, but that’s just the nature of the game. Sadly we’ve all been there, but I’m dumped for him regarding the timing of getting into that block.” at an international level.
“I know he’s someone who would have been crazy excited to attack the opportunity we have. He’s such a quality player, I love playing with him and I learn from him every time we play, he sees things and does a lot of things. of us can not do.
“So I really miss him in that regard and I know all our thoughts are with him to make him straighten his body and I have no doubt that he will be humming in two or three months no matter what, towards the down the line. ”
On Monday it was confirmed that Ireland would be allowed to compete in the autumn series after its government, like Wales, exempted elite sport after announcing it would place the country in the most high level of lockdown restrictions starting next Monday.
RFU receives timely sponsorship support as women’s game expected to benefit
The RFU announced a new sponsorship deal with O2 and as part of the new deal, the sponsors pledged equal funding for men and women.
The five-year deal, which will extend the Union’s association with the telecommunications giant to 30 years, is the main sponsor of England’s senior men’s and women’s teams and the announcement of the deal will be a boost more than timely.
The deal, starting in September 2021 and estimated at £ 7.5million a year, comes with a statement outlining both the RFU and the O2’s ambition to grow and grow football female in England.
“O2 and the RFU have the collective ambition to both develop the profile of the Red Roses and increase participation in future games,” said a statement from the RFU.
Elsewhere, it has been announced that Leicester Tigers’ Welford Road will be renamed for sponsorship purposes.
The move means that it is the first time that the club, which has played there since 1892, has renamed its stadium in 128 years.
The stadium is now set to be renamed Mattioli Woods Welford Road as part of a new five-year deal with longtime official partner Mattioli Woods, a wealth management company.