Prince Harry today praised Diversity’s incredible Black Lives Matter-inspired dance routine on Britain’s Got Talent as he called for an end to ‘structural racism’ in Britain.
In an extensive interview with the £ 11million Sussex California mansion, Prince Harry said he was ‘surprised’ by the thousands of complaints to Ofcom after the controversial performance.
The Duke of Sussex has also revealed his ‘awakening’ to the problems black people face after meeting his wife Meghan Markle.
Meanwhile, Meghan called the Black Lives Matter protests in the United States after George Floyd’s death “beautiful” – but claimed that only applied to “peaceful protests” and admitted that many people found the demonstrations “inflammatory”.
Speaking to the Evening Standard, Harry revealed that he spoke to diversity chief Ashley Banjo after the troupe’s routine sparked a massive backlash.
He said: “We spoke to Ashley Banjo a few weeks ago, right after the Britain’s Got Talent situation. And that in itself, I’m sure even me talking about it will be controversial, but the reality is that he and his team of guys put on the most amazing show.
Prince Harry today hailed Diversity’s incredible Black Lives Matter-inspired dance routine on Britain’s Got Talent as he called for an end to ‘structural racism’ in Britain
In an extensive interview with the £ 11million Sussex California mansion, Prince Harry said he was “surprised” by the thousands of complaints filed with Ofcom after the performance.
“We had such a great conversation with Ashley. He was really strong, he felt good about it, but at the same time he was worried about the reaction. It was a real surprise that there had been what?
“1,100 complaints after the show, then three days of hype, it turned into 20 or 25,000. I’m very glad Ofcom made the decision they made, but that in itself proves how point this conversation must continue.
Diversity’s BLM-inspired routine garnered nearly 25,000 complaints from broadcast regulator Ofcom, as the performance became the second most complained TV moment of the decade.
Ofcom will NOT investigate Diversity’s BLM Britain’s Got Talent dance despite over 24,000 complaints – and says controversial performance was ‘symbolic of global events’
Ofcom will not investigate Britain’s Got Talent’s controversial Black Lives Matter-inspired Black Lives Matter routine on September 5, despite complaints from viewers which have reached 24,500.
The performance has now become the second most criticized television moment of the decade, but a spokesperson for the government-approved regulator confirmed to MailOnline that no action will be taken.
The representative said: “We have carefully examined a large number of complaints about this artistic routine, an area where freedom of expression is particularly important.
“Diversity’s performance referred to difficult and potentially controversial topics, and in our opinion, its central message was a call for social cohesion and unity.
“All of the artists’ depictions of violence were highly stylized and symbolic of recent world events, and there was no explicit reference to any particular political organization – but rather a message that black lives matter. “
Troupe leader Ashley Banjo responded to the news on Instagram by sharing the statement and writing, “Creativity is always a leap of faith. Everything I did was what felt right and I did it 100 times… Send love to everyone who was by our side ”.
The move was greeted with a mixed reaction from viewers, with some praising the move and others saying stronger action needed to be taken.
However, a spokesperson for the government-endorsed body revealed that it would not act against diversity because it argued that the performance of the troupe “referred to difficult and potentially controversial topics, and our opinion, its central message was a call for social cohesion and unity ‘.
In an article written to coincide with the interview, the couple said: “As long as structural racism exists, there will be generations of young people of color who will not start their lives with the same equal opportunities as their white peers.
“And as long as this continues, the untapped potential will never be realized.
The interview is the latest in a long string of political interventions by the couple, including last week when Harry weighed in on the US election by urging voters to ‘reject hate speech’.
The comments – which violated royal protocol – were widely interpreted as a call to vote against Donald Trump and prompted Buckingham Palace to immediately distance themselves from Harry by noting that he was “not an active member of the family royal ”.
Harry, 36, said he became more aware of the issue of racism after he married his wife, 39.
He said: ‘Because I was not aware of so many problems and problems in the UK and also in the world. I thought I did it but I didn’t.
He added, “You know, when you walk into a store with your kids and you only see white dolls, do you even think, ‘It’s weird, there is no black doll there? ? “.
The interview also saw the Duchess of Sussex comment on the sometimes violent Black Lives Matter protests in the United States following the death of George Floyd.
She admitted that protests could be “inflammatory” but that, when peaceful, they were a “beautiful thing”.
Last week the Duke and Duchess were accused of ‘crossing the line’ after a thinly veiled blow to Donald Trump as they urged Americans to come out and vote in the next election.
In the couple’s most high-profile intervention during the US presidential election, Harry urged voters to “reject hate speech, disinformation and negativity online” – all qualities critics associate with Mr Trump .
In a TV appearance to mark the appeal of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people, Meghan – who made no secret of her dislike of the president – described the November vote as the most important election of his life.
Meanwhile, Harry complained that he was never able to exercise his democratic right to vote due to the convention that, as a member of the British Royal Family, he should remain politically neutral.
Royal insiders have expressed concern in Britain, where the Queen and her family are expected to remain politically neutral at all times, with one saying Harry and Meghan have ‘crossed a line’.
Buckingham Palace has also distanced itself from Harry’s remarks by saying “the Duke is not an active member of the royal family” and describing his comments as “made in a personal capacity”.
Speaking in an interview with Zoom with the Evening Standard from their new £ 11million home in Santa Barbara, Calif., The couple said they were “doing well” after leaving the UK.